Stephen ANGEL

   A kayak on a jetty near the Rockingham Volunteer Sea Rescue headquarters, not far from where Stephen Angel went missing. 


Missing since: 
Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Last seen: 
Peron, WA
Responsible jurisdiction: 
Year of birth: 
Light brown
Distinguishing Features: 
Blind in one eye (black eyeball) . Ponytail and one eye mostly closed due to blindness.


Stephen Angel has been missing since 3 April 2019. Stephen was kayaking in the ocean off Port Peron Beach in Peron close to the suburb of Rockingham WA. At 11am Stephen is believed to have set off his personal locator beacon, and despite an extensive search has not been seen since. Stephen’s Kayak and paddle were located during the search and he has failed to make any contact with family since.

Anyone with information which may assist in locating the whereabouts of Stephen is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

'If anyone can survive, it will be him': Relatives of missing kayaker Stephen Angel


The search for missing kayaker Stephen Angel has been suspended for the day due to poor weather conditions.

The 59-year-old Dwellingup man, described by relatives as an "experienced" fisherman and kayaker, has been missing since Wednesday morning.

WA Police released a statement late on Thursday afternoon describing water conditions as unsafe for further search activity.

The search will recommence on Friday morning, with air and water vessel deployments planned.

In a press conference earlier on Thursday, relatives described Mr Angel was a fit, strong and active man and an experienced sailor.

"We're not coping the best at the moment," step-daughter Anna Marelic said.

"It's to be expected, but we're still trying to stay positive as much as we can. I feel if anyone can survive, it will definitely be him. He's a really strong person."

An air and sea search south of Perth was sparked when a personal emergency beacon was activated 1.5 nautical miles off Point Peron at about 11am on Wednesday.

Crews arrived to find the kayak, a paddle, and the personal beacon, but not the kayaker.

It's believed Mr Angel, a father of two, was not wearing a life jacket.

Rockingham Volunteer Marine Rescue crews, police boats and the RAC Rescue Helicopter resumed their search for the missing man at first light on Thursday morning.

"We want to thank WA Police, rescue services and everyone involved in the huge effort in searching for Steve and the overwhelming support we have received from the police and the community," Ms Marelic said.

"He's a kind, genuine and truly wonderful person and we just want him to be found safe."

Fremantle Water Police Acting Senior Sergeant Paul Crawshaw said he was still hopeful of a positive outcome.

He said searchers had found the beacon on Wednesday evening a short way north of where the kayak had been located.

Thursday's search has focused around the area where the kayak, beacon and paddle were found.

Difficult search conditions

Thursday's search conditions have not been as good as yesterday's, Acting Sen-Sgt Crawhaw said.

Morning winds, overcast skies and "challenging" swell had complicated the search.

"Yesterday the search crews were reporting very good conditions and the search area was very effectively covered with very good visibility and a high probability of detection," he said.

"Yesterday a dive search was undertaken as well, there were plans for further dive searches today but unfortunately because of the sea conditions we've not as yet been able to complete that."

Fire heartbreak

Mr Angel's Dwellingup home was destroyed in a bushfire in 2007 and he had since become an advocate of fire safety awareness.

His teenage had son suffered significant burns in the fire.


Missing kayaker Stephen Angel recently received large disability payout

Tuesday, April 30th, 2019 12:00pm

By Monique Welhan Coast Live

An arrest warrant has been issued for missing kayaker Stephen Angel after failing to appear in the Mandurah Magistrates Court today.

Stephen Angel disappeared on April 3 while kayaking off Rockingham.

A large scale land, sea and air search was carried out after an EPIRB belonging to Mr Angel was activated.

Police later found his kayak floating between Point Peron and Garden Island, but there was no sign of Mr Angel.

The search was suspended two days later.

The Dwellingup man was scheduled to appear in court today after previously pleading not guilty to two counts of sexual penetration of a child under 13 and two counts of indecently dealing with a child under 13.

The charges relate to alleged incidents that happened between September 1992 and March 1993.

The West Australian reports, during today's hearing, the police prosecutor told the court Mr Angel had recently received a large disability payout and was an experienced sailor.


Police, friends believe accused child abuser Stephen Angel may still be alive


When Stephen Angel’s kayak was discovered floating upside-down between Point Peron and Garden Island in April, it seemed like nothing more than a tragedy.

But when it was later revealed the 59-year-old was facing charges of sexual penetration and indecent dealing with a child under the age of 13, conspiracy theories grew quickly.

Months on from his disappearance, an investigation by The West Australian has revealed details of name changes, yacht ownership and a mysterious lump sum payout which make the case even more curious.

Mr Angel, who had only been using that name since 2014, had a bench warrant issued for his arrest when he failed to attend Mandurah Magistrate’s Court on April 30.

He had earlier pleaded not guilty to the charges, which stemmed from historical allegations.

As of this week, he was still being treated as a missing person.

“As is the nature of missing persons inquiries, specifically those without any direct eye witnesses to the disappearance, we do not definitively know what happened to Mr Angel,” WA Police Det-Sgt Jude Seivwright said.

“We cannot discount the possibility that Mr Angel is alive.

“The investigation into Mr Angel’s disappearance will continue by the WA Police missing persons team and Mr Angel will remain recorded as a long-term missing person until such time as he is located.”

While revelations of his boating background fed into theories he had fled the country across the water, family friends say they believe that is unlikely.

“He’s perfectly capable of sailing off into the sunset but I don’t think he would hurt his children by leaving them in the lurch,” they told The West.