Ronald Richard PENN

  Ronald Penn.

Police search in bushland near Magenta for clues last month in relation to the disappeara

Police search in bushland near Magenta for clues in relation to the disappearance of Ronald Penn in 1995. Photo: Central Coast Gosford Express Advocate

 

Ronald Richard PENN
DOB: 1936
HAIR: Grey BUILD: Solid EYES: Green
CIRCUMSTANCES:
Ronald Penn was last seen at Wyong, NSW in late 1995.
Reported missing to: Inverell Police Station.


Inverell family seeks closure in missing persons case

Friday, 17 February 2006 - Inverell Times



WHEN a family member goes missing and the years drag on without any contact or confirmation of their fate, those who are left behind to wonder never really have closure.

And, closure is exactly what the family of missing Inverell man Ronald Penn is seeking.

After nine years listed as a missing person, Ronald Richard Penn, who was aged around sixty at the time he disappeared, has not been seen or heard from since.

His bank account has not been touched and the last reported sighting of him by a family member (according to police records) was in October 1995. Christmas cards and letters sent by his family to his last known address have been returned unopened.

According to his family, Ron Penn frequently travelled between Inverell and Wyong on the NSW central coast.

He had been required to attend a court hearing in Wyong regarding a traffic incident in which he'd been involved.

He never arrived at that court hearing, and the judge awarded the case against him for not appearing.

Days later, Ron's burnt out vehicle was found abandoned in the Wyong area.

He was reported missing to Inverell Police by a concerned niece who had regular contact with him and who had not heard from him for quite a while.

Ron's brother, Roy Penn, who now resides in Adelaide, said Ron kept most of his personal papers and other items with him in that vehicle.

He has undertaken his own investigations into his brother's disappearance and believes, as do most of the family, that Ron has met with foul play.

And he has gathered a lot of evidence that points to that possibility.

Roy tried to track down the whereabouts of the burnt out vehicle in the months following his brother's disappearance, but has reached a dead end. The vehicle is long gone, and any evidence it contained as to what happened to Ron, gone with it.

Rumours have circulated over the years. The family wants an end to it all, and are asking the same questions as everyone else. Why did Ron suddenly disappear? Why was his vehicle burnt?

"I'm concerned and would just like to know what happened to Ron and what follow-up has been made to find him,” said Roy, who is two years older than his missing brother.

"Mum is 93 years old now, and has not had a day go past where she hasn't thought of Ron, or picked up the ringing telephone expecting him to be calling her.

"It's been a hard time for her, not knowing. She needs to know what happened before she passes away,” he said.

Roy believes a lot of evidence may have been destroyed that could have helped the investigation.

"Also a lot of the comments made at that time just didn't make sense – and still don't - know matter how you look at it.

"This is not raking over cold ground from a family looking for someone to blame for Ron's disappearance. We truly believe there was foul play involved and would like to see this case investigated again more thoroughly. There is more to it than we have been told.”

Roy says it is a very complicated matter.

"Ron was a big man in stature and personality. He was not easily intimidated by anyone. But, the last known phone call received by a member of our family indicated that he was frightened and possibly in fear of his life,” he said.

Roy has spoken to officers in the Police Missing Persons Unit and has been assured that this case was never closed.

"They have told us that investigations are always continuing until the case is solved, although it doesn't seem to be a very active investigation to us.”

Sergeant Steve Jeffery, one of several Team Leaders at the Missing Persons Unit based in Parramatta, said this week that there are some discrepancies in this case, including the date family members believe Ron disappeared and what is contained in the report.

"We regularly review the files and annually conduct inquiries to see if there is any fresh information that may help solve the cases,” said Sergeant Jeffery.

"Unfortunately, in this case there have been no new leads to date,” he said.

Nonetheless, Roy is determined not to give up searching for answers.

"If he's still alive, we need to know. If he met with foul play, we want to know. If there's a body out there, we need to know. We need closure so we can at least grieve for him and stop hoping, searching and waiting,” he said.


NSW Police Media Release - September 18th 2013
 

Tuggerah Lakes Police will commence a search of bushland today as part of investigations into the disappearance of a man who was reported missing from Wyong almost 18 years ago.

Ronald Penn, then aged 61, was last seen in Wyong on 12 October 1995.

Police from Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command have conducted extensive investigations into Mr Penn’s disappearance.


Investigations have revealed Mr Penn, who would now be 77 years old, had only a few of his clothes and personal belongings with him when he vanished; none of his bank accounts have been accessed; and his driver’s licence has not been renewed since he went missing.

Mr Penn’s motor vehicle was found burnt-out in bushland on 27 October 1995 on Berkeley Road, Berkeley Vale. After receiving fresh information, police will again conduct a search of this area on Wednesday 18 and Thursday 19 September 2013.

“Mr Penn disappeared nearly 20 years ago and police continue to follow a number of lines inquiry in the hopes of determining what happened to him,” Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command Crime Manager, Detective Inspector David Waddell, said.

“We are confident that someone knows what happened to Mr Penn and we continue to appeal to the public for any information in relation to the matter,” he said.

“Please – if you know where he is, or what has happened to him – come forward and speak with police.

“Ronald’s family need you to provide any information about his movements or current whereabouts – they need closure.”


Police are urging anyone with information about this incident should call Granville Police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page:
https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/. Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Police believe Ronald Penn disappearance linked to 1995 Wyong Court House shooting

 
Tuggerah Lakes police have searched a Bateau Bay property looking for evidence in the disappearance of Ronald Penn 17 years ago and now believe it is linked to the shooting of a woman at Wyong Court in 1995.

The shooting was on November 21 of that year when a 24 year old man walked into Wyong Court House and shot a woman involved in an apprehended violence proceedings.

It is understood that Ronald Penn was to have been a witness in that court case.

Ronald Penn was last seen at a home at 15 Mitchell Drive in Bateau Bay on 12 October 1995. He was aged 61 at the time, and has not been seen or heard from since.

This is the second major search in relation to the disappearence with investigators combing bushland off Berkeley Road in Berkeley Vale on September 18 and 19 - at the location where Mr Penn's burnt-out car was found on 27 October 1995.

Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command crime manager, Detective Inspector David Waddell, said the recent searches had been prompted by fresh information.

"Over recent months we have received some strong support and useful information from the community," Det Insp Waddell said.

"Yet we do believe there are a number of people out there who know what has happened to Mr Penn but are either afraid or unwilling to share that information with police.

"If you know where he is, or what has happened to him, please give us a call.

"We don't need to know who you are; all we need is the information you have to hand. You can contact Crime Stoppers anonymously and your call will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

"Ron's poor family deserve to know what happened to him; after 17 years, they are desperate for closure."

Investigations have revealed Mr Penn, who would now be 77 years old, had his clothes and personal belongings with him when he vanished. Mone of his bank accounts have been accessed and his driver's licence has not been renewed since he went missing.

SHOOTING DESCRIBED IN PARLIAMENT

In the NSW Parliament Hansard on the day of the Wyong Court House shooting, then Attorney General Jeff Shaw spoke about the incident.

"Honourable members may be aware from press reports that there was a shooting incident at Wyong courthouse today. The full facts are yet to emerge, but I can inform the House that the preliminary report from the court indicates that a woman involved in court proceedings was shot within the precincts of the court.

"I am informed that she has suffered injury to the upper left shoulder and arm, forearm and face. Ambulance officers attended the court and stabilised her condition. On the information available at this time, it is hoped that she will recover from this dreadful attack. I am informed that the woman was involved in seeking an apprehended violence order.

"The respondent to that order is not the person who shot the woman, although I understand that the shooting arose from that case. As charges will undoubtedly be laid as a result of the incident, I do not intend to fully outline the facts of the matter. I can advise the House that the alleged perpetrator of the shooting was apprehended by a corrective services officer and secured until police arrived.

"No other person was injured in the incident. The court has been closed for the day and the staff have been relieved of their duties. Three officers from Gosford Local Court have gone to Wyong, and business will resume tomorrow.

"The department has also arranged for a counsellor to counsel the court staff. Comprehensive security arrangements at Wyong courthouse include duress alarms and a closed-circuit television system. I am advised that these alarms functioned during this morning's incident, ensuring that police were quickly on the scene. The shooting is indeed a tragic and deplorable event. It is indicative of the difficulties in providing absolute protection to persons involved in domestic violence situations.

"The Attorney General's Department has recognised the need for improved court security, and a program is presently under way to install duress alarms in courtrooms, chambers and public counters in all courthouses. The program is two-thirds complete. I can confirm to the House that such facilities are included at Wyong, with the alarm being directly connected to the local police station. While there will now be a need to further review court security in this State, it is a sad fact that this incident could have taken place in any location. I will shortly bring before Parliament proposals for legislative change arising out of the review of the apprehended violence order provisions of the Crimes Act."

Police investigating a car and three men linked to disappearance of Ronald Penn

Detectives investigating the disappearance of a Central Coast man 18 years ago have released descriptions of a car and three men that may be linked to the case.

Ronald Penn was last seen in Bateau Bay on October 12, 1995. He was aged 61 at the time and has not been seen or heard from since.

Two weeks later, on October 27, Mr Penn’s white Mazda van was found burnt-out in bushland on Berkeley Rd, Berkeley Vale.

As part of their ongoing investigation, detectives from Strike Force Rankmore — which was formed to investigate Mr Penn’s disappearance — have been told three men may have been in the near vicinity of Mr Penn’s car shortly after it was set alight about 10pm on October 27, 1995.

Two of the men are described as being of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander appearance, while the third man is described as being of Caucasian appearance.

All three were seen ­leaving the scene in a red Ford Laser hatchback.

Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command crime manager Detective Insp David Waddell said police believed there were people who knew what happened to Mr Penn but were either afraid or unwilling to speak to police.

``If these descriptions ring a bell, or you have any other information concerning Mr Penn, please do get in touch.

``We don’t need to know who you are; all we need is the information you have to hand. You can contact Crime Stoppers anonymously and your call will be treated in the strictest of confidence.”

Investigations have revealed Mr Penn had his clothes and personal belongings with him when he vanished. None of his bank accounts have been accessed and his driver’s licence has not been renewed since he went missing.

Police are urging anyone with information about the case to contact Tuggerah Lakes Detectives

Or you can phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or go to the Crime Stoppers online page at: https://www1.police.nsw .gov.au

Police have two previous searches relating to the case, one of a Bateau Bay property , and the other of bushland at Berkeley Vale.

SEARCHES AT BATEAU BAY AND BERKELEY VALE

Tuggerah Lakes police searched a property at 15 Mitchell Drive, Bateau Bay in December 2013 looking for evidence in the disappearance of Mr Penn.

At the time they said it was believe it is linked to the shooting of a woman at Wyong Court in 1995.

The shooting was on November 21 of that year when a 24 year old man walked into Wyong Court House and shot a woman involved in an apprehended violence proceedings.

It is understood that Ronald Penn was to have been a witness in that court case.

Ronald Penn was last seen at a home at 15 Mitchell Drive in Bateau Bay on 12 October 1995.

Investigators also combed bushland off Berkeley Road in Berkeley Vale on September 18 and 19 - at the location where Mr Penn’s burnt-out car was found on 27 October 1995.

Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command crime manager, Detective Inspector David Waddell, said at the time that those searches had been prompted by fresh information.

“Over recent months we have received some strong support and useful information from the community,” Det Insp Waddell said.

“Ron’s poor family deserve to know what happened to him; after 17 years, they are desperate for closure.”

 

 

Search for missing man Ronald Penn 18 years moves to Tuggerah Lakes sandhills

  • Ronald Penn missing since 1995, car found burnt-out
  • New information suggests body may be buried near Tuggerah Lakes
A police cadavar dog was brought in to help search sandhills in the Tuggerah Lakes area for evidence in the case of a man missing for 18 years.

After receiving fresh information concerning the disappearance of Ronald Penn in 1995, detectives yesterday afternoon began their arduous search.

Ronald Penn was last seen at a house in Bateau Bay on Thursday October 12, 1995. He was aged 61 at the time, and has not been seen or heard from since.

Two weeks later, on Friday 27 October 1995, Mr Penn’s white Mazda van was found burnt-out in bushland on Berkeley Road, Berkeley Vale.

Detectives from Strike Force Rankmore — which was formed to investigate Mr Penn’s disappearance — recently received information suggesting three men may have been in the near vicinity of Mr Penn’s car shortly after it was set alight around 10pm on Friday 27 October 1995.

Two of the men are described as being of Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islander appearance, while the third man is described as being of caucasian appearance.

All three were seen leaving the scene of the burning Mazda van in a red Ford Laser hatchback.

Detectives have also been provided with information suggesting Mr Penn’s body may be buried on a sandhill within the Tuggerah Lakes area.

Police have previously searched a home unit at Bateau Bay and bushland at Berkeley Vale looking for clues.

The Crime Manager of the Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command, Detective Inspector David Waddell, said Strike Force Rankmore Detectives will continue to make inquiries on this matter in the ensuing days and weeks.

``We are absolutely committed to solving this case and putting those responsible for Mr Penn’s death behind bars,” Detective Inspector Waddell said.

``Mr Penn’s family and friends have suffered for far too long; they need to know what happened to Ron.

``The information and support we have received from members of the community has been invaluable, and we are very grateful for the help they have provided.

``If there is anyone else out there who can assist detectives, please do get in touch.

``We don’t need to know who you are; all we need is the information you have to hand. You can contact Crime Stoppers anonymously and your call will be treated in the strictest of confidence.”

Investigations have revealed Mr Penn had his clothes and personal belongings with him when he vanished. None of his bank accounts have been accessed and his driver’s licence has not been renewed since he went missing.

The investigation by Strike Force Rankmore continues.

Police are urging anyone with information about this case to contact Tuggerah Lakes Detectives or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000

Man charged with 1995 cold case murder of Ronald Penn

Police have charged a 51-year-old man with the murder of Ronald Penn who went missing almost 20 years ago.

The Central Coast man was aged 61 at the time of his disappearance in October 1995.

The last known instance of him being alive was in Sydney on October 24 that year. Three days later, on Friday, October 27, 1995, the man’s white Mazda van was found burnt-out in bushland on Berkeley Road, Berkeley Vale.

The fresh charges were added during the man’s appearance before Gosford Local Court on Friday. He has been remanded in custody and is next due to appear in the same court on May 22.

A second man, aged 43, is currently before the courts over the disappearance of the 61-year-old. He also remains in custody, charged with accessory after the fact to murder and other matters.

Investigations revealed the man had only a few of his clothes and personal belongings with him when he vanished. None of his bank accounts have been accessed, and his driver’s licence has not been renewed since he went missing.

Strike Force Rankmore, comprising of officers from Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command, was later established to investigate the man’s disappearance and suspected murder.

This has included extensive searches of bushland, sand hills and properties in the Tuggerah Lakes area.

Strike Force Rankmore detectives have also been investigating links between this matter and the alleged shooting of a woman as she entered Wyong Local Court on November 21, 1995.

As a result of those inquiries, the 51-year-old man was arrested in May last year over the shooting. He has remained in custody since then, charged with attempted murder and other matters.

Following further investigations by Strike Force Rankmore, this man has now also been charged with the murder of the man who went missing in 1995, along with other offences related to that incident.