Robert ATKINS

A man wearing a fluoro yellow jacket holding a can  A man wearing a blue jumper and a baseball cap

 

Update 3.30pm 11/1/21 - SA Police

Police are renewing their appeal to locate missing 29 year old man Robert Atkins.
New details have revealed he was last seen at the Cove Tavern (Hallett Cove) in early November.
Anyone with any information or know where Robert is please call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or if you see Robert please call 131 444. Police and his family are concerned for his welfare.
Robert is Caucasian, 183 cm tall, medium build, clean shaven, with short brown hair, and blue eyes.

 

 

22/7/21 SA Police

DISAPPEARANCE OF ROBERT ATKINS DECLARED MAJOR CRIME
Major Crime are investigating the disappearance of Robert Atkins, which has now been declared a Major Crime.
Robert Atkins, 29, was reported missing by his mother on 2 January and is believed to have been murdered.
Tonight Major Crime detectives and Forensic Response Section personnel are conducting a search and forensic examination of a home in Mander Road, Christie Downs.
A press conference will be held on Friday 23 July providing further details regarding the investigation.
Anyone with information that may assist the investigation is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at www.crimestopperssa.com.au

 

IMPORTANT INFO FOR TONIGHT fRIDAY 23/7/21:

SA Police

Anyone with knowledge of events leading up to this murder is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 to talk to Major Crime detectives tonight (Friday 23 July) between 5pm and 9pm.

Major Crime are investigating the disappearance of Robert Atkins, which has now been declared a Major Crime.
The disappearance of Christie Downs man Robert Atkins, who was reported missing by his mother on 2 January has now been declared a major crime.
Robert Atkins, 29, was reported missing by his mother on 2 January 2021 and is believed to have been murdered.
She became concerned for his welfare after she had not heard from him since November 2020.
It is believed Robert was involved in the 'street level' drug scene in the southern suburbs, and investigators believe that this involvement has led to his death.
He was staying with friends at a house in Mander Road, Christie Downs at the time of his disappearance.
Robert had been staying at the property for a short amount of time and moved from house to house.
Detective Inspector Brett Featherby of the Major Crime Investigation Branch says, “Police know that there are people out there who have knowledge of Robert’s death, including people to whom he may have owed money. Police are also focusing on witnesses who may have seen anyone acting suspiciously in the vicinity of Mander Road, Christie Downs from early to mid-November.
While Robert had irregular contact with his family, he is obviously missed by his parents, other family members and close friends.
We are seeking people to come forward and do the right thing by Robert’s family and provide information which will help us arrest those responsible for his murder.
I encourage anybody with knowledge of events leading up to this murder to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 to talk to Major Crime detectives tonight (Friday 23 July) between 5pm and 9pm. You can remain anonymous.”

 

Police believe murder victim Robert Atkins held against will for up to seven days before death

By Eugene Boisvert ABC
Posted 

SA Police believe a murdered Adelaide man was held against his will and assaulted by more than one person for up to a week before his death.

Robert Atkins, 29, was reported missing by his mother in January but police say he was murdered in November.

Overnight, they searched a house in Mander Road, Christie Downs, where he lived for a short time before his death, seizing sections of a floor for forensic testing.

Detective Inspector Brad Featherby said Mr Atkins' "street-level drug dealing" was likely connected with his death, which was declared a major crime yesterday.

"We believe that Robert's death is a result of his involvement in the drug scene in the southern suburbs," he said.

"What we are aware of is Robert was held against his will and assaulted for four to seven days prior to his death."

He said Mr Atkins had not used his bank account or his phone since November 12, 2020.

His mother reported him missing on January 2, 2021, after not being able to contact him since November.

The detective said murders involving someone being held against their will usually involved more than one person, so there would be people who knew the circumstances around Mr Atkins' death who could come forward.

"We're fully aware that people have knowledge to the background in relation to Robert's disappearance and subsequent murder," Inspector Featherby said.

"We're seeking anyone with that knowledge to come forward and speak to us about Robert's death.

"We're also aware that Robert may have had debts as a result of his drug activity in the southern suburbs and we're asking for anyone with knowledge of that come to forward to investigators."

He would not be drawn on whether the people living at the Mander Road house were suspects.

Aside from the flooring, police seized other items from the house but would not say what they were.

Mr Atkins' body has not been found.

Police believe Robert Atkins was murdered at Port Pirie after being detained for up to a week

Posted 

South Australian Police believe a man who was held against his will and violently assaulted for up to a week in a southern suburbs home was murdered at Port Pirie. 

Robert Atkins, 29, was reported missing by his mother in January when she became concerned that she had not seen her son for two months.

Police believe Mr Atkins' death was connected to his involvement in the southern suburbs drug scene.  

They have previously said they suspect he was held against his will and assaulted for up to seven days at a house on Mander Road at Christie Downs in November. 

On Friday, Detective Inspector Brett Featherby said police have now discovered that Mr Atkins was moved to a second property at Seaford before being driven to Port Pirie where he was murdered. 

"We know he was violently assaulted and held against his will," he said.

"He has then been moved at some stage to the premises at Seaford.

"And we now know that between the 15th and the 16th of November he's travelled through Booborowie through to Port Pirie where he was murdered on that date — the 16th."

Police believe Mr Atkins' body was disposed of in or around Port Pirie, and are currently narrowing down search areas to find his remains.

Detective Featherby said the murder was "not related to bikies at all". 

Two cars seized during investigation 

Police have released images of two vehicles they believe are connected to the murder. 

A black 2010 Jeep Cherokee with the registration S556AJE was photographed returning to Adelaide at Willaston South at 8:51pm on November 16. 

"We know that vehicle was stolen from a Millswood premises in late August or early September last year, and it was later seized by police on 3rd December at Mawson Lakes," Detective Featherby said. 

A silver 2008 Nissan Pathfinder with the registration BB744S was seized on July 15 at Booborowie.

"Both of those vehicles have been subjected to forensic testing. The results are promising and we believe those results will further advance this investigation."

Detective Featherby said they are looking for more than one suspect. 

"There were a number of persons involved in both his unlawful detention and subsequent murder at Port Pirie," he said. 

"We have received 20 calls to Crime Stoppers that have helped to advance the investigation and piece together Robert's final moments."

Police are seeking information from anyone who saw the vehicles on November 15 or 16 in Booborowie, Port Pirie or elsewhere in the mid-north region. 

They are also calling for anyone who noticed suspicious activity in Mander Road at Christie Downs or in Halyard Crescent at Seaford in early to mid-November to call Crime Stoppers. 

 

 

Police identify 'likely' location of Adelaide man's tortured body

By Declan Gooch
Posted 

The body of an Adelaide man who police believe was assaulted and murdered in a drug-related attack is likely near the town of Orroroo, investigators say.

The mother of Robert Atkins, 29, said she had not seen her son for two months when she reported him missing in January.

Police have previously said they suspect he was held captive and assaulted for up to a week at a house at Christie Downs, in Adelaide's southern suburbs, in November.

In early August, police said he had likely been moved to another property at Seaford before being driven to Port Pirie, where he was murdered.

"The investigation into the murder of Robert Atkins is progressing very well," a police spokeswoman said in a statement.

Orroroo is a community of about 600 people north of Jamestown in South Australia's mid-north.

The spokeswoman said while officers could not go into detail about the investigation for operational reasons, they were working to reduce the likely search area.

Police have alleged Mr Atkins' murder was related to the drug scene in Adelaide's southern suburbs.

Earlier this year, officers released images of two vehicles they believe were connected with the murder. 

A black 2010 Jeep Cherokee with the registration S556AJE was photographed returning to Adelaide on November 16. 

A silver 2008 Nissan Pathfinder with the registration BB744S was seized on July 15 at Booborowie.

By mid-August, there had been 36 calls to Crime Stoppers about the case, which police said included some helpful information.

At the time, they said there would be a search for Mr Atkins' remains in the near future.

 

 

Update 25/02/22: Police have concluded the search in the Mid North of the State for the body Robert Atkins.
Detective Superintendent Des Bray said although investigators from Major Crime Investigation Branch were disappointed they did not locate

 Robert on this occasion, they are happy to have now discounted a large area and gained more valuable information during the extensive

 search.

Police are looking forward to returning to the remote area, between Orroroo and Peterborough, to continue the search in the coming months.

 

Robert Atkins, 29, was reported missing by his mother on 2 January 2021 and is believed to have been murdered. She became concerned for

 his welfare after she had not heard from him since November 2020.

 

Rewards up to $200,000 will be paid by the Government of South Australia, at the discretion of the Commissioner of Police, to anyone who

 provides information and assistance

 that leads to the conviction of the person or persons responsible for the suspected murder of Robert James Atkins (and/or leading to the

 location and recovery of the victims remains).

Anyone with information that may assist the ongoing investigation is asked to contact Crime Stoppers South Australia on 1800 333 000 or report on line at www.crimestopperssa.com.au – you can remain anonymous.
Police would like to thank the Orroroo Community and local farmers for their support during the search effort.

No new evidence found in search for Robert Atkins's body but police 'happy' with new lead

By Eugene Boisvert ABC
Posted 

SA Police have searched double the area they did yesterday to find the body of a man they believe was murdered over a drug debt and are "happy" about a lead that has come from publicity around the case.

Officers are searching an area between Peterborough and Orroroo, in the state's Mid North, to find the body of Robert Atkins, who they believe was killed in November 2020.

Police have previously said they believe Mr Atkins's death was connected to his involvement in the drug scene in Adelaide's southern suburbs. 

One of the state's largest task forces was set up in December to investigate his death, along with other unsolved suspected murders in SA in which police believe the victims were targeted over petty drug debts. 

Police searched between four and six square kilometres of bush and farmland today, which Major Crime officer in charge Detective Superintendent Des Bray said was twice as much as combed over yesterday, the first day of the search.

No new evidence connected to the case was found but Superintendent Bray said police were still "optimistic" about finding Mr Atkins's body.

"The team is pretty upbeat that we're in with a good chance of finding Robert," he said.

"It was always going to be a long search and so things are playing out how we expected."

Motorcycles and drones join search

Police searched the area on foot and motorbike, focusing on areas along roads and creeks.

Australian Federal Police also joined the search with drones and ground-penetrating radar.

Superintendent Bray said the suspected killer — a drug dealer — was "lazy".

Police also released CCTV images of Mr Atkins showing what he was wearing on the day of his death and the day before, while committing offences in Adelaide with the suspect.

They show he was wearing a fluoro yellow and blue vest and grey, black, teal and white Nike sneakers, which police say could have been discarded in the area.

"We believe Robert was wearing those clothes at the time of his death and that those clothes and shoes will be located somewhere in this area," Superintendent Bray said.

"He was wearing a high-vis vest and we've been able to get good images of the shoes he was wearing.

"We think, given he was away overnight, it's highly probable that he would have had the vest with him and again that might be located in this area."

Publicity and reward attract lead

Police are offering a $200,000 reward for information that leads to the conviction of Mr Atkins's killer, as well as the same amount for information leading to his body.

The rewards, coupled with the search ramping up media coverage of the case, had led to a lead being called into police, Superintendent Bray said.

However, he would not elaborate on what it was, except to say he was "happy".

"I can say something positive has happened but I can't tell you what it is," he said.

Police are meeting tonight to consider which areas should be examined when their search resumes tomorrow.

Man and woman charged over theft of excavator linked to Robert Atkins's suspected murder

By Eugene Boisvert ABC
Posted 

A man and a woman from South Australia's Mid North have been charged with the theft of an excavator that police say is linked to the murder of an Adelaide man.

The 60-year-old man and 57-year-old woman were arrested on Saturday morning at a property in Booborowie, near where police found 140 bullets on Friday.

The search in and along the Hutt River and next to the Goyder Highway between Booborowie and Spalding was in connection with the suspected murder of 29-year-old Adelaide man Robert Atkins in 2020.

It was sparked by a tip-off that a middle-aged man and a woman were seen acting suspiciously in the area last month.

The excavator that the arrested couple is accused of stealing was found in the remote Northern Territory town of Borroloola on Tuesday.

Police say the vehicle, worth $50,000, was stolen from Meadows, in the Adelaide Hills, in November 2019.

On Friday, police said the excavator was "linked to suspects in the investigation" of Mr Atkins's suspected murder.

The man and woman were bailed to appear in the Clare Magistrates Court in September.

Taskforce looking into three deaths

The investigation into Mr Atkins's suspected murder is part of Taskforce Southern, an operation looking at suspicious deaths associated with the methamphetamine scene in southern Adelaide.

Police believe Mr Atkins, of Christie Downswas murdered in November 2020 over a $1,000 drug debt.

He was reported missing in January 2021.

A search for his body and any evidence related to his death in an area farther north in February this year turned up nothing. 

Taskforce Southern is also looking into the murders of Trevor King and Jeff Mundy. 

Mr Mundy was last seen in late 2020.

Mr King was found dead at West Lakes in January 2020, in what detectives now believe was a staged drug overdose.

Rewards worth $200,000 are on offer for information connected with each of the three deaths.

Police search locations near Spalding as part of investigation into suspected murder of Robert Atkins

By Meagan Dillon and Eugene Boisvert ABC
Posted 

Police have found bullets on a riverbank in South Australia's Mid North, which they believe are connected with the suspected murder of Adelaide man Robert Atkins.

Thirty-seven police officers began searching the Hutt River and \an area alongside the Goyder Highway on Friday morning following a tip-off last month that led to finding ammunition nearby.

Taskforce Southern was sparked by the death of Mr Atkins, who police say owed a $1,000 drug debt.

The 29-year-old from Christie Downs was reported missing in January 2021, but police believe he was murdered in November 2020.

A search for his body and any evidence related to his death in an area farther north in February this year turned up nothing. 

Superintendent Des Bray today said police received information that a middle-aged couple was seen acting suspiciously on Broughton Valley Road, near the bridge over the Hutt River at Spalding, on June 22.

"Today we are searching that area," Superintendent Bray said.

"A truck drove past at the time and spooked the couple who left in a dark sedan – they returned after they thought the truck had left the area."

Bullets for a .38 calibre pistol and packaging were found the next day in the area and are now in the possession of police.

They hope DNA and fingerprints on them will prove useful in the investigation.

"We believe the people seen at the bridge on June 22 may have been disposing evidence on behalf of a suspect in Robert's murder," Superintendent Bray said.

Police have asked anyone who found bullets or packaging along the Goyder Highway or RM Williams Way to come forward.

Taskforce also looking into other deaths

Taskforce Southern is also looking to the murders of Trevor King and Jeff Mundy, which police say were also associated with the methamphetamine scene in southern Adelaide. 

Mr Mundy was last seen in late 2020.

Mr King was found dead at West Lakes in January 2020, in what detectives now believe was a staged drug overdose.

Rewards worth $200,000 are on offer for information connected with each of the three deaths.

Police are also reviewing 201 drug overdose deaths that have occurred in South Australia since July 2019, to make sure they are not related.

Police have also seized an excavator they believe is connected with suspects in the murders.

They say the vehicle, worth $50,000, was stolen from Meadows, in the Adelaide Hills, in November 2019.

Northern Territory Police seized it from a property in Borroloola, on the Gulf of Carpentaria, on July 12.