Remains found..........identified......


Police renew appeal for public assistance after human remains identified – Central Coast   *Name not released

Friday, 04 Mar 2011 12:30pm

Human remains discovered on the busy F3, on the state’s Central Coast, have been identified and detectives are renewing their appeal for public assistance into the fatal incident.

Police believe the victim got out of a northbound vehicle near the Kariong
exit about 8.45pm on Tuesday (1 March) and, a short time later, was struck and fatally injured by another vehicle.

The deceased has now been identified as a 33-year-old Quakers Hill man.

Inquiries into the cause of the man’s death are continuing, however, it is not being treated as suspicious.

Brisbane Water Local Area Command’s Inspector Nigel Webber said police have received a lot of information from the public in relation to the incident.

“We are continuing to work through many reports from motorists and other witnesses as we try to determine exactly what has happened,” Insp Webber said.

“We are not treating the man’s death as suspicious, however, we are still trying to determine exactly what happened. All evidence available at this stage suggests the deceased was struck by a vehicle and we are appealing to the driver, or anyone with information, to come forward.”

A motorist has told police he dropped off a man, described as Caucasian in appearance, on the F3 near at Kariong around 8.45pm.

Meanwhile, a woman has reported seeing a maroon sedan swerve to miss an object near the Gosford exit about 9pm.

She has told police she heard that vehicle – possibly a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon – hit the object before seeing a semi-trailer travelling behind her swerve to miss the same object.

Investigators continue to appeal for anyone with information that might assist their inquiries to come forward.

They’re particularly keen to hear from anyone who has seen or recently repaired a maroon car with front end damage.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Gosford Detectives via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.


Body discovered in the ocean


*Identified, name withheld but known by AMPR

Thursday, 17 February 2011 14:16

Victorian Police are investigating the discovery of an unidentified body off the coast of Warrnambool this morning.

It was spotted by a fisherman, who alerted police at 7.40am.

The body was located roughly a kilometre out to sea at Granny's Grave Beach around 9.30am.

The decomposed body has been conveyed to the Coroners Court for formal identification.

Police identify body of man found in shallow grave – Freemans Waterhole

Thursday, 18 Mar 2010 04:05pm

NSW Police have identified the body of a man found in a shallow grave near Lake Macquarie last week and have renewed their appeal for information with respect to the circumstances of his death.

Strike Force Beamish, comprising detectives from Lake Macquarie Local Area Command and the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad, was established to investigate the discovery.

On Saturday 13 March, the body of a man was located in a shallow grave in bushland in the vicinity of Freemans Waterhole.

A post mortem examination was conducted on Monday 16 March where police formally identified the remains as being that of 33-year-old Steven Quire from Rutherford.

The family of Mr Quire have requested that they be given time to grieve for the loss of their loved one and that their privacy be respected.

Detectives investigating the matter have renewed their appeal for information from members of the public and have released a photograph of Steven Quire in the hope that someone may recognise him and have seen him prior to his death.

Anyone with information about his disappearance and subsequent death is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Members of the public are reminded that all information received will be dealt with in the strictest confidence and that callers may remain anonymous.

Police appeal for information after discovery of body – Lake Macquarie

Tuesday, 16 Mar 2010 02:19pm

NSW Police are appealing for information after the discovery of the body of a man at Lake Macquarie over the weekend.

Strike Force Beamish, comprising detectives from Lake Macquarie Local Area Command and the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad, has been formed to investigate the discovery.

The body of the man was located in a shallow grave in bushland near Freemans Waterhole on Saturday 13 March.

Police are yet to identify the man however he is described as being of white/European appearance, about 174cm tall and of medium build. It is believed the man is aged between 20 and 40 years of age.

A post mortem will be conducted to determine the cause of death.

Detectives are appealing for information from the public as they continue their investigations.

Anyone with information that may assist investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.



Body found - Lower Templestowe


*Identified as Patrick HEARN

Tuesday, 23 February 2010 16:56
Victorian Police are investigating the discovery of a body in Lower Templestowe this morning.

The badly decomposed body was located in the garden of an address in High Street around 9.30am.

The gender of the deceased has not yet to be confirmed.

The remains have been taken to the Coroners Office for forensic testing.

The Homicide Squad have been notified.

No further details will be available until after forensic testing is completed.


July 31, 2009

Police have identified a man whose human remains were found at a campsite at Split Rock Dam, near Manilla last month.

Anthony John Ward from Camperdown was reported missing to Warrnambool police in Victoria in late May.

Police have confirmed that remains located near an amenities block at the dam four weeks later have formally been identified following a positive DNA match.

At the time, Gold Coast detectives believed the death could be linked to the alleged double murder of Gold Coast couple, Alexander and Suzanne Davie.

Body located following murder investigation

Last updated 23/06/2009

Following investigations into the murders of Alexander and Suzanne Davie on or about May 3, Gold Coast and Homicide Investigation Unit officers, working in conjunction with the New South Wales Police, have located what appears to be the remains of a third person.

The remains were located at Split Rock Dam at Upper Manilla via Tamworth, New South Wales.

Investigations are continuing in an effort to identify the remains and the cause of death.

Anyone with information which could assist police with their investigations should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.



Police announce murder investigation in Mt Murray car death

Monday, 01 Feb 2010 12:12pm 
Identified as Matthew Digby

Police today revealed the identity of a man whose charred remains were located in a burning car at Mount Murray, near Robertson, last month.

The body of 35-year-old Matthew Digby was found last Monday (January 25) about 7am after a train driver reported seeing a car on fire in bushland near railway lines at Mt Murray/Macquarie Pass.

Late last week Homicide Squad officers joined Lake Illawarra LAC detectives in establishing Strike Force Gosling to investigate the suspected murder.

Lake Illawarra LAC Commander Superintendent Michael Willing said detectives were still piecing together Mr Digby’s last movements.

“We are keen to speak to anyone who may have seen Mr Digby on the weekend before his body was discovered,” Supt Willing said. “We also want to hear from anyone who may have seen the car in which he was found – a blue 1990s model Mazda 626. The burnt out car was seized by police.

“If anyone was in the vicinity of Mount Murray/Macquarie Pass between late afternoon on Sunday 24 January and 7am on Monday and saw a blue Mazda or any other suspicious activity, they are asked to contact police.
“Information so far has led us to believe that Mr Digby died in suspicious circumstances.”

He added that information from the public has already led officers to canvass a number of areas in the Wollongong area, including the Botanic Gardens last Friday. The result of that search was the location of Mr Digby’s car, a green Ford Falcon, found on Murphy’s Rd, Gwynneville.

Supt Willing said Mr Digby had in recent months moved from his hometown of Cronulla to Wollongong.

“His parents and brothers are understandably devastated by this horrific incident,” he said. “We urge anyone with information to get in touch with detectives.”

Anyone with information in relation to the death of Matthew Digby is asked to contact Lake Illawarra detectives on 02 42952699 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. All information will be kept strictly confidential.


Dairyville mystery solved

MARCUS John Gormley was a big man in many ways.

As his family comes to terms with the fact they may never know how he died in the Orara Valley forests he loved, they remember his generosity, kindness, gentleness and his cheerful spirit.

The 36-year-old Coffs Harbour resident had been missing for eight weeks before his body was identified by DNA testing this week following the discovery of the lower half of a man’s body at Wayper Creek near Dairyville last month.

His family suspected he was camping somewhere in Bindarri National Park, a favourite bush retreat for the fit bush walker and cyclist and they been helping police with the search.

Marcus’s optimism was the more remarkable because he had to contend with a heavy burden of medication and hospitalisation.

He had been diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1993 and some years later also with bipolar disorder.
Born and educated in Coffs Harbour, the youngest of four siblings, he remained close to his family and enjoyed family dinners and events as well as music and the many TAFE courses he enrolled in.

His mother Delia Gormley said he displayed both courage and strength of will in dealing with his challenging health problems.

“He had the most positive outlook for someone who had so much to deal with,” Mrs Gormley said..

“If he knew someone was in hospital, he would visit them, because he knew how lonely it could be.

“He was so generous – he was always lending money to people and most of the time he did not get it back.

“I once asked him what he wanted for Christmas and he said ‘a bull...t detector’. ”

The disability pensioner also supported at least two overseas orphans through charity organisations; made regular donations to Greenpeace and often provided emergency accommodation in his flat for homeless people.

“He did not have a lot, but he shared whatever he had,” his mother said.

Marcus John Gormley’s funeral will be held at 1.30pm on December 9, at St Augustine’s Catholic Church, in Coffs Harbour.

Coffs/Clarence local area commander, Detective Inspector Cameron Lindsay, who released Mr Gormley’s name publicly yesterday, said Marcus Gormley was a frequent visitor to the area and enjoyed camping there.


Murder charge Boyland Identified as Darren Britza

Last Updated: 04/11/2009

A 35-year-old man from Nerang has been charged in relation to the alleged murder of Darren John Britza in March 2001.

Mr Britza’s body was located buried in dirt and debris under a bridge at Biddaddaba Road, Boyland, (via Canungra) in March 2008.

The man has been charged with one count of murder and is due to appear in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Update on body located at Biddaddaba

Last updated 04/03/2008

Biddaddaba bootPolice are appealing for information which may assist them to identify the body of a man which was located near the Canungra Creek Bridge at 10.30am on Sunday.

The man is believed to be aged between 20 to 50 years, approximately 173cm-180cm tall, with a medium build.

He was wearing size 10 Colorado lace-up boots, two pairs of socks, Jag jeans, a leather belt, Puma t-shirt and a pair of Marks and Spencer (UK brand) boxer shorts. A blue tarpaulin was located with the body.

A post-mortem examination of the skeletal remains yesterday indicated the body had been in the shallow grave for more than six months.

The body appears to have been unearthed by recent heavy rain.

Police are still investigating the cause of death and the identity of the man.

Police are currently working with the Missing Persons Unit to identify the man.

Anyone who has information which could assist police with their investigation, should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Update on body located at Biddaddaba (south of Brisbane)

Last updated 03/03/2008

A post-mortem examination of the body located near the Canungra Creek Bridge at Biddaddaba indicated the remains of the deceased appear to be that of a man.

About 10.30am yesterday the body was located by three fishermen.

The post-mortem was completed this morning.

The cause of death and the identity of the body are yet to be determined.


Mystery deepens over body in barrel Identified as Lucia Amenta

October 28, 2009 - 9:39AM


A body found in a barrel yesterday is not believed to be either a missing pregnant Bendigo woman or a murdered Melbourne childcare worker.

Police yesterday said they would investigate whether the remains found in the barrel dumped in a lake in Melbourne’s north belonged to Krystal Fraser, who disappeared in June, or Raechel Betts, whose body parts were found washed up at Phillip Island.

Police are hoping an autopsy examination today will help identify the remains.

Detective Senior Sergeant David Snare, who has been investigating Ms Betts’ murder, said the body discovered yesterday was not hers.

"The body in the barrel is not Raechel Betts," he said.

However, he said an appeal for further information into the 27-year-old Epping woman’s killing had turned up new leads which police were following up.

Ms Fraser’s sister, Chantel, told The Age police informed her last night that the the grim discovery in Campbellfield was also not connected to her missing sister.

Ms Fraser, 24, was last seen in Pyramid Hill in northern Victoria on June 20, three days before she was due to give birth to a baby boy.

Police are appealing to anyone who may have information surrounding the discovery to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Chantel Fraser said the search for her sister would continue after the remains found yesterday were ruled out as belonging to her.

But she did not hold much hope Ms Fraser was still alive as it was unlike her not to contact family for so long.

"That’s not how she was. She was hilarious and just wanted to be friends with people," Ms Fraser said.

"We’re just taking it day by day."

A Victoria Police spokeswoman was unable to confirm whether police had spoken to the Fraser family about yesterday’s gruesome find.

The barrel, belonging to a local chemical disposal company, was found in Jack Roper Reserve by Melbourne Water workers draining a lake last week.

It was returned to the chemical company where workers opened it yesterday when they noticed a foul smell.

Inside were remains believed to belong to a woman.

Body parts, including a tattooed leg, belonging to Ms Betts were found washed up on Phillip Island in August.

Homicide Squad detectives believe they are closing in on her killer, who they say she knew.

Ms Betts was last seen on August 11 in Heidelberg Heights.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of Ms Fraser or Ms Betts has been asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or go to


Body found on national park track  Identified as Lorraine Eves

Posted 2 hours 20 minutes ago - October 28th 2009 - ABC

Police will today carry out a thorough search of bushland on Sydney's northern beaches where a body has been found.

A man walking on a track in the Garigal National Park at Killarney Heights came across the body at about 5pm yesterday.

Inspector Graham Pickering says he called police.

"As a result of enquires there the local detectives with the assistance of Homicide Unit have all attended last night and made numerous enquires there," he said.

"We established a crime scene overnight which is continuing this morning."

He says the area is only a few hundred metres square.

"We anticipate doing a further search of the area this morning. The area's not overly huge down there so that's something I have to plan now."

Inspector Pickering says he does not know how long the body has been there for, but the track is regularly used by bushwalkers.

A post mortem examination of the body will be carried out today.


New leads in body parts murder  Identified as Raechel Betts

By Kathy Lord - ABC

October 27th 2009

Victoria Police believe they are close to identifying a suspect in the murder of a Melbourne woman whose body parts were found near Phillip Island in August.

Police now think Raechel Betts was murdered by a man she planned to go away with.

Ms Betts was last seen in the Melbourne suburb of Preston on August 11.

Several weeks later, her leg and other body parts were found on Phillip Island.

Police say two callers to Crime Stoppers have provided vital information about the case and they have urged them to contact police again.

One person rang police in early September and provided information about the man Ms Betts had planned to go away with.

The second caller, who rang two weeks ago, provided information about a small white car seen on Phillip Island a short time after Ms Betts went missing. The car was seen on the island for several days.

Detective Senior Sergeant David Snare said it was in the best interests of the community that the person responsible for the brutal murder is caught.

"Investigators have made significant progress with this investigation and believe they are now very close to identifying Raechel's killers," he said.

He said they want to speak to the two callers again to help confirm their suspicions.

Police have released a picture of the car wanted in connection with the murder and will be on Phillip Island today looking for more information.


Human remains found near Wollongong

August 14, 2009 - 5:49PM


Human remains have been found in bushland northwest of Wollongong.

Police made the discovery at Cataract Creek, Mount Ousley, about midday (AEST) on Friday, a NSW police spokesman told AAP.

A crime scene was established and the remains are to be forensically tested.

Earlier this week, human remains belonging to a 33-year-old woman were found at Pheasants Nest, south of Sydney.

Police could not say at this stage if the two discoveries were related.

*Wollongong remains confirmed to be a 27 year old Chinese man missing for 5 months.


Man arrested over body parts find

Posted 4 minutes ago - August 12th 2009
 - ABC

A man has been arrested over the discovery of body parts in Sydney's south-west over the past three days.

On Sunday afternoon two dogs found a woman's leg in scrub near the Hume Highway.

They dragged it a couple of kilometres back to their owner's home at Pheasants Nest.

The owner called police who have been searching the area ever since.

They have found a woman's body in three separate parts.

A 33-year-old man was arrested at about 1:00am today (AEST) and was taken to Ryde Police Station where he is still being questioned.

Police are yet to formally identify the woman, but say they are working with the Missing Persons Unit.

They have returned to the bushland today to look for more clues, such as her wallet or any other belongings.

Camden Police Commander Superintendent Ian Foscholo earlier said the body parts were just a few days old and that forensic tests would confirm if the remains belong to more than one body.

The Commander says the owners of the property have been distressed by the finds.

"It's not every day that your dog comes back with human remains so they're obviously quite upset about it for obvious reasons," he said.

"But they've been fabulous giving us every assistance and we've been very grateful for that."


Skull found at Balmoral Beach

Identified as historic Aboriginal remains

August 11, 2009
Article from:  Australian Associated Press

WORKERS have found what is thought to be part of a human skull while carrying out excavation work at a northern Sydney beach.

A NSW police spokeswoman said private contractors were working in front of a restaurant at Balmoral Beach, near Mosman at about 10.30am this morning

They uncovered what appeared to be human remains buried in the sand, the spokeswoman said.

"It appears to be a partial skull containing some teeth," she said.

Balmoral is home to some of Sydney's most expensive real estate.

A crime scene has been established and inquiries are continuing.


Human remains: Third find in three days

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:45pm AEST - ABC

Police have found human remains for the third time in the same number of days near a property on Sydney's south-western fringe, as a skull was unearthed on the city's North Shore.

Officers and volunteers have been searching Pheasants Nest, in south-west Sydney, since a dog found human tissue in thick bushland at a property there on Sunday afternoon.

Police have been searching the area ever since, finding more remains yesterday within a kilometre of the property with the help of local dogs.

They say they made a third discovery this morning a few kilometres away near the Hume Highway. One lane of the highway has been closed off as police examine the scene.

Private contractors have also found part of a skull buried in the sand while excavating in front of the Watermark Restaurant at Balmoral Beach this morning on Sydney's North Shore.

A crime scene has been established and an archaeologist has been called in to assess the age of the remains.


Suspected murders

The Camden Police Commander, Superintendent Ian Foscholo, says the body parts found on Sunday at Pheasants Nest were just a few days old.

He says police are dealing with suspected murders and are searching through recent missing persons cases for clues.

"There's definitely suspicious circumstances. We're working very closely with the Homicide Squad," he said.

"We have our suspicions and we're folowing a number of leads."

Superintendent Foscholo says forensic tests will confirm if the remains belong to more than one body.

Police are appealing to local residents for information about suspicious activity in the area in the past week.

"Given the remoteness of the property, it's probably more likely to be locals that may have some information [about] suspicious vehicles or any information that may suggest that there's something out of the ordinary," Superintendent Foscholo said.

The Commander says the owners of the property have been distressed by the finds.

"It's not every day that your dog comes back with human remains so they're obviously quite upset about it for obvious reasons," he said.

"But they've been fabulous giving us every assistance and we've been very grateful for that."

Dozens of volunteers from the State Emergency Service (SES) have braved cold and wet conditions to help scour local properties and bush on foot, with the help of dogs from the area and the police force.

Police were planning to end the search today unless more remains were found.

Sydney human remains just days old

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19pm AEST

Police say human body parts dug up by a dog on a south-west Sydney property are just a few days old.

Officers were called to the property at Pheasants Nest on Sunday afternoon, after the owner's dog found the human tissue.

Police continued searching yesterday and found more human remains near the house at the end of Pheasants Road, which is surrounded by bushland and scrub, about 25 kilometres from Camden.

The Camden Police Commander, Superintendent Ian Foscholo, says he cannot say whether the remains belong to more than one body until forensic tests are finished.

He says he cannot reveal the gender or age of the deceased either.

"I imagine it would be a few days before we get anything conclusive," he said.

"The remains are probably a few days old. That's all I can say, I can't be any more definitive than that.

"They're still being forensically processed. I imagine it will be a few days before we get anything conclusive."

Superintendent Foscholo says the circumstances are suspicious and the Homicide Squad is involved in the investigation.

He says police are looking at recent cases of missing persons.

Dozens of volunteers from the State Emergency Service (SES) are helping police on the third day of the search.

SES trucks and police vans are camped out the front of the property while Camden officers and volunteers search the grounds on foot.

Police are planning to end the search today unless more remains are found.

Police identify remains as Camperdown man   Identified as Anthony Ward

Posted Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:40pm AEST - ABC

New South Wales police have confirmed that human remains found at a camp site near Tamworth, in the state's north-west, are those of a Camperdown man.

Homicide detectives are investigating the death of Anthony Ward.

Mr Ward went missing from Camperdown, in western Victoria, in May this year.

A police spokesman says DNA tests have been conducted on the bones, which were found last month.

Skeletal remains discovered in bushland - Kincumber Mountain  Identified as Kylie McKay

2009-07-13 16:40:47

Police on the state's Central Coast are conducting inquiries after the discovery of human remains on Kincumber Mountain.
About 2.30pm on Saturday (11 July), a male bushwalker was photographing Aboriginal art along the Warri Warri track on Kincumber Mountain when he came across the skeletal remains near a cave.
Some items of clothing were also found nearby.
The man alerted police from Brisbane Water Local Area Command who attended the location and secured a crime scene.
Over the weekend and today the remains have been examined in situ and are expected to be taken to Newcastle's Department of Forensic Medicine tomorrow.
Further forensic procedures will be conducted to establish the identity of the remains and a cause of death.
Police are investigating the possibility the remains are that of
Kylie McKay, who was last seen in June 2002. At the time of her disappearance the married mother-of-two was 35 years old. Last Friday the NSW Government announced a $50,000 reward for information on her disappearance.
Investigations are ongoing and anyone with information that might assist detectives is urged to contact Gosford Police Station via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Wednesday 06-Aug-2008 (1210 hrs CST)

Remains identified – Alice Springs (see original story below) 
Identified as Mark Hyslop
Police have identified human remains found in ranges near Charles Creek, Alice Springs, last month.  
Mark Hyslop, 44, from New South Wales, had been reported missing in early June after he failed to return to the Salvation Army Hostel where he was staying. Police subsequently issued a media release with Mr Hyslop’s photo and description and called for public assistance in locating him.  
On July 15 a couple walking their dogs in the ranges at the back of Charles Creek found what appeared to be human remains. DNA testing later confirmed the remains were that of Mark Hyslop.  

Wednesday 16-Jul-2008 (1140 hrs CST)

Human remains found – Alice Springs

Human remains have been found in hills surrounding Alice Springs yesterday.  
Police received a report about 5pm yesterday afternoon after two people walking their dogs came across the remains in hills at the back of Charles Creek.  
A crime scene was established and a line search involving police and NTES volunteers was undertaken this morning.  
The body is yet to be identified but police believe it has been at the location for several weeks.  
Investigations are continuing.  

05 September 2007  
Left for dead: Man found near highway   Identified as Toni Perusich
Carmen Swadling



ALL it would have taken was one call to OOO.

Had one person asked if 39-year-old Toni Perusich needed help, he might still be alive today.

But instead he suffered a painful and lonely death on the side of a major road.

For almost a week the Carey's Rd, Hillville resident was hidden in grass by the Pacific Highway at Nabiac.

A local resident discovered Mr Perusich's badly decomposed body last Wednesday afternoon, while he was slashing grass on the western side of the highway near the Gloucester/Krambach overpass.

Manning Great Lakes Local Area Command police were called to the scene and conducted enquiries.

Forensic Services Group officers also examined the area.

At first police had no idea who Mr Perusich was.

He had no identification on him and there were no missing person reports matching his description.

Police investigations revealed Mr Perusich's wallet and keys were handed into a Nabiac business the previous Thursday – on August 23, a week earlier.

It's believed they were found near the bus stop on the highway.

The last known sightings of Mr Perusich were six days before his body was found.

The body was taken to Newcastle Morgue for post mortem examination in an attempt to identify the man and determine a cause of death.

Fingerprint evidence later confirmed Mr Perusich's identity.

The death is not suspicious.

"We spoke to a number of witnesses at Nabiac who stated they saw a male matching the description of the deceased writhing around on the ground, obviously sick, yellowish in colour, vomiting and in pain," Manning Great Lakes Acting Local Area Commander Inspector Allan Fidock said.

"It's just sad. It seems like people have seen him and no one has offered assistance or even bothered to call 000.

"It appears he died a painful and lonely death," Inspector Fidock said.

Police investigations revealed Mr Perusich was on a liver transplant waiting list at St George Hospital Sydney.

Forster local coroner Mike Degney said the post mortem confirmed Mr Perusich died of cirrhosis of the liver.

It's believed he had no family in the area.


Body remains found, Mackay: Last updated 27/10/2008    Identified as Luke Ling

QLD Police have today arrested a man for his alleged involvement in the death of man in 1988. Police forensic testing allegedly revealed that a human bone found in bushland outside of Mackay in 1994, was linked to a man named Luke Ling who disappeared in 1988. Police charged the Mackay man with one count of misconduct with a corpse, interfering. He is due to face Mackay Magistrates Court on November 13. The arrest related to the disposal of the man’s body not the actual cause of his death Police are appealing for any further information from anyone with information on Mr Ling or his disappearance from the Mackay area