Paul Andrew Jason RUSHWORTH






Paul Rushworth has been missing since 13 September 2013.
Paul was last seen at 5am that morning when he went for a walk, he later phoned his partner at 7.30am from Circular Quay stating he was going to catch a train to the Blue Mountains, NSW and return later that evening.
Paul has not been seen since this time.
If you have information that may assist police to locate Paul please call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.


Police are appealing for public assistance, as part of Missing Persons Week, to find a man missing from Sydney since September last year.

About 7am on Friday 13 September 2013, Paul Rushworth, now aged 47, left his home on Boronia Street, Redfern, to go for a walk.

About an hour later, Mr Rushworth called home from Circular Quay and said he was catching a train up to the Blue Mountains and woul
d be home that evening.

He has not been seen or heard from since.

Detectives from Redfern Local Area Command are investigating Mr Rushworth’s disappearance but all inquiries have failed to find any trace of him.

There are concerns for his welfare as it is out of character for him to not make contact with family and friends.

He is described as being of Caucasian appearance; about 170cm tall and thin build, with short brown hair and brown eyes.

He was last seen wearing blue jeans, red/maroon shirt, with a brown and cream coloured horizontal striped over shirt and brown walking shoes.

Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Paul Rushworth is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page:

Sydney police are appealing for help to find a man who has been missing for more than four months.

Paul Rushworth, 46, was last seen about 7am on Friday 13 September 2013, when he left his home on Boronia Street at Redfern to go for a walk.

He contacted a friend a short time later and said he was catching a train to the Blue Mountains, but he has not been seen or heard from since.

Paul is about 170cm tall, with short brown hair, and was wearing blue jeans with brown walking shoes, a red/maroon shirt, with a brown and cream-striped shirt over the top.

Friends and police have concerns for Paul's safety and urge anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800333000 or visit


Family’s plea for Paul to go home


THE family of Redfern resident Paul Rushworth, who disappeared without trace late last year, have renewed their plea for information regarding his whereabouts.

About 7am on Friday, September 13, the 46-year old left his home in Redfern and never returned.

Despite having received no word from Mr Rushworth since his disappearance, his family have not given up hope and are pleading for the Redfern resident to come home.

Mr Rushworth’s longterm partner Peter Harris said he wanted make sure the missing man knew how deeply he and his family loved and missed him.

“We have been putting posters everywhere, all over Sydney from Watsons Bay to La Perouse, Circular Quay, Redfern, Central, Surry Hills, literally as many places as we can,” he said.

“We will keep putting them up. We heard from one guy who said he thought he saw Paul and spoke to him in Surry Hills at the end of January but we can’t know for sure.

“He hasn’t used any of his accounts but that doesn’t mean anything, it is easy to find cash-in-hand jobs if you are staying with someone.

“I still have confidence we will find him. I think it is easy to hide yourself in a big city if you can keep moving about, but it’s a lot harder if something has happened to you. I believe we will find him, we are not giving up. I just want him to know how much we all care about him.”

Mr Harris said Mr Rushworth had been anxious in the days leading up to his disappearance.

“He was anxious and stressed for a while and we don’t know why, he was doing a masters in fine arts at university and everything was going well,” he said.

“I think he thought he wasn’t good enough. Everyone kept telling him everything was fine but in his mind that wasn’t enough.”

On the day of his disappearance Mr Rushworth made one last call to Mr Harris after leaving the house.

“He called to say he was thinking about going up the (Blue) mountains to clear his head and he wanted to go on his own,” he said.

“I was really concerned so I asked him to call me when he arrived but he never called.”


‘I just exist as nothing’: Life after a loved one becomes a missing person



IS HE alive? Did someone hurt him? Is he living on the streets? Has he done something to himself?

These are just some of the questions that race through Peter Harris’s mind from the moment he wakes, until the moment he falls to sleep, every day.

Peter, 59, might never know what happened to his partner of 30 years, Paul Rushworth, who went missing from Sydney on September 13, 2013.

But not knowing only fuels his burning desire to find the answers.

Peter, who is self-employed, dedicates most of his spare time to searching for the love of his life. He is consumed by needing to know that Paul, aged 46 at the time of his disappearance, is OK.

“People can’t just vanish. He’s somewhere,” Peter said.

He has scoured the streets of Sydney on foot and by car, printed and handed out more than 60,000 missing person’s flyers around the city and northern suburbs, rallied politicians to feature the faces of missing persons more prominently throughout the city, and plastered posters featuring photos of Paul in public spaces and online.

“The first thing I do every morning is check Facebook and emails to see if there are any messages from him or any sightings,” Peter said. “I go onto his Facebook page and put out a private message to him hoping one day he might read all of the messages there.

“I go into his email account to see if he’s touched anything in there.”

Peter said his life had been reduced to a “mere existence” since Paul disappeared. “Life is not the way it used to be,” he said. “It’s nothing. I just feel nothing. I just exist as nothing. All I’m doing is existing day to day.

“My family is great and everything but Paul is in the back of my head constantly. From the time I wake up in the morning to the time I go to sleep at night, I’m talking to Paul in my head. It doesn’t stop.”

According to the Australian Federal Police Missing Persons Unit, Paul “was last seen at 5am that morning when he went for a walk. He later phoned his partner at 7.30am from Circular Quay stating he was going to catch a train to the Blue Mountains, NSW, and return later that evening. He has not been seen since”.

Peter Harris posts to Facebook daily in the hope that Paul will respond.

Peter Harris posts to Facebook daily in the hope that Paul will respond.Source:Facebook

Peter said Paul had been anxious in the days leading up to his disappearance but it was “out of character” for him to “just vanish”.

“He wasn’t in any trouble or diagnosed with depression or anxiety or on any medication; he didn’t do any drugs,” Peter said. “I thought everything was OK when he said he wanted to go for a walk around the block.

“He told me he was going to email his little sister in England when he returned. But he never came back from that walk. We never saw him again.”

Paul left his Redfern home, in central Sydney, with his house keys, wallet and phone, which “wasn’t working properly”. The items have never been recovered. His bank accounts and phone haven’t been used either, according to Peter.

Peter said Paul was studying his second master’s degree at the time of his disappearance.

“He was doing really well but he didn’t think he was,” Peter said. “He was always really gentle and quietly spoken; there were no hassles with Paul.”

Thousands of Australians vanish without a trace each year. While many are found, a smaller number are never seen again.

It’s their loved ones, family members and friends, who are subsequently locked into a lifelong limbo, where they seek and await answers that sometimes never come.

Families and Friends of Missing Persons Unit co-ordinator Liz Davies said disappearances were particularly hard on those left behind because there were “no recognised rituals” to mark or acknowledge what had happened. “There can often be misunderstanding from those around the family,” Ms Davies said.

Peter said the question that plagued him the most was, “Is he alive?”

He said Paul was not likely to take his own life. “He had been prescribed seven sleeping pills a few weeks before because he was having trouble sleeping and he was scared to even take half a tablet,” he said.

There have been several reported sightings of Paul since he disappeared but none have been proven. For Peter, life has come to a grinding halt since the day Paul last walked out their front door. He is now simply waiting to see him walk back in.

He said birthdays, Christmases and all other special occasions in between had become “just another day”.

“You start to lose interest in it all,” he said. “People stop ringing up to say, ‘Have you heard anything? Any news?’

“I get support from people and family. But what can I say? ‘Yeah I’m OK?’ What else? I’m not going to suddenly fall into a deep hole and collapse or do something. I’ll be fine and I’ll exist and keep doing my thing by looking for Paul.”

NSW Police did not respond to questions from regarding the case.


Missing since: Friday, September 13, 2013
Last seen: Sydney, NSW
Year of birth: 1966
Height: 170cm
Build: Thin
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Complexion: Fair/caucasian
Gender: Male

If you or someone you know needs help, phone Lifeline on 131 114.