Kathleen (Katie) Mary O'SHEA


Above - this is similar to Katie's distinctive red handbag - have you seen someone with a bag like this?

Kathleen (Katie) Mary O'SHEA

Name: O'Shea
Kathleen Mary
D.O.B: 1961
Height: 171 cm
Complexion: Tanned
Eye Colour: Green
Hair Colour: Dark
Build: Slim
Last Heard: December 2005, Atherton

Katie's daughter Lily has this plea - "She has left 5 children behind,  the youngest was only 11 at the time. I love my mother dearly and would do anthing to
have her back here with her children where she belongs, please, I have waited 20 months to find a site like this that is not a police site but someone that
knows missing people do exist not just the police...please help my family find her and we will be forever in your thanks"



Fears for missing Melbourne mum

January 19, 2006

POLICE hold fears for a Melbourne woman missing in north Queensland since December.

Kathleen Mary O'Shea, 44, visited the Mareeba region, west of Cairns, in December but failed to catch a return flight to Melbourne earlier this week.

Police said Ms O'Shea was intending to visit Ravenshoe with her 11-year-old daughter to be present on January 9 for the birth of a grandchild but did not turn up for the occasion.

Earlier, she had been dropped off at Atherton by her son on December 29 after saying she wanted to play pool at a local hotel before taking a taxi to visit a friend at Mareeba.

The friend says Ms O'Shea did not turn up.

She was reported missing on January 17 after failing to catch a return flight to Melbourne booked for January 13.

Her daughter is now being cared for by her son.

Police say there are serious concerns for Ms O'Shea's welfare as she has limited funds and very few friends or associates in the area.

Friday, January 20, 2006. 1:37pm (AEDT)
Police widen search for missing mum

Queensland police have stepped up the search for a Melbourne woman who has been missing on the Atherton Tablelands since late last month.

Kathleen Mary O'Shea was last seen in Atherton, west of Cairns, four days after Christmas.

The 44-year-old was expected to fly back to Melbourne on Tuesday and has not been in contact with her 11-year-old daughter.

Police say her disappearance is out of character.

Concerns mount over missing woman
Thursday Jan 19 18:12 AEDT

Police have set up a major incident room as part of an investigation into the disappearance of a Melbourne woman in north Queensland three weeks ago.

Kathleen Mary O'Shea, 44, arrived with her 11-year-old daughter on December 17 to attend the birth of her first grandchild on January 9.

She was last seen on December 29 last year when her son dropped her off in the town of Atherton after she had said she wanted to play pool at a local hotel before taking a taxi to visit a friend in Mareeba.

Her friend said she did not turn up and her daughter also reported she had failed to attend the birth she had come to see.

Detective Superintendent Michael Condon from the Homicide Investigation Squad said Ms O'Shea's son reported his mother missing on January 13 (January 13) and concerns about her whereabouts worsened when she later failed to catch a pre-booked flight home to Melbourne on January 17 (January 17).

Her 11-year-old daughter is now being cared for by her son.

Det Supt Condon said police at the major incident room in Mareeba were checking Ms O'Shea's last known movements and if her bank accounts had been accessed.

"She has not made a number of appointments and has not been present for the birth of her grandchild which was the purpose of her trip," Det Supt Condon said.

"We have concerns in relation to her whereabouts.

"A major incident room has been established in the far northern region and we are working closely with detectives and the missing persons bureau in an effort to track the last known whereabouts and movements of Ms O'Shea with the hope of finding her safe and well."

Family pleads for news of missing grandma
Richard Finnila - Courier Mail

THE family of a missing Melbourne woman who disappeared three weeks ago while on holiday in far north Queensland have pleaded for any information that may lead to her whereabouts.

Kathleen Mary O'Shea, 44, has not been seen since December 29, when her eldest son, Alan, dropped her off at a hotel in Atherton to play pool.

She was supposed to meet friends later on the same day, but failed to keep the appointment.

The single mother made the trip to Queensland with her daughter Brigid, 11, to be present for the birth of Alan's baby.

Brigid is now being cared for by Alan.

Ms O'Shea's sister Noeleen said it was unlike her to disappear without a trace.

"We've tried the police, taxis, pubs, bus companies, priests, everything, but no one knows anything," Ms O'Shea said.

"Her daughter is beside herself – she has never been without her mother for a minute."

Ms O'Shea said someone in the small town of Atherton must know what had happened.

"She lived up there for a few years, but moved down to Melbourne about eight years ago.

"If anyone knows anything – anything at all – please call police."

Ms O'Shea was reported missing on January 13 when she failed to catch a return flight to Melbourne booked for January 17.

Police said they were seriously concerned for the missing woman's welfare, because she had limited funds and very few friends or associates in the area.

Thursday, February 2, 2006. 9:49am (AEDT)

Police to boost missing woman search efforts

Additional police are joining the search for a 44-year-old woman who has been missing on the Atherton Tablelands in far north Queensland for more than a month.

Katie O'Shea from Melbourne was last seen in Atherton on January 29.

Regional crime coordinator John Harris says several reported sightings cannot be verified and the missing woman has not been in touch with family or used bank accounts.

Detective Inspector Harris says homicide squad detectives will join the investigation.

"We have had a number of reported sightings, but to date they have all proved negative," he said.

"I have conducted a review of the investigation to date and I have called on assistance from the homicide squad for resources to give us a hand and to continue to run the major incident room which continues to operate out of the Mareeba police station.

"Katie has not accessed any money, in fact her Centrelink payments are mounting up in her account. She hasn't made contact with her family - the family are gravely concerned about her safety and welfare and the police, of course, are becoming concerned as the days go by."

Appeal for missing person Kathleen O'Shea - 23/06/2006

Queensland Police are still appealing for any information regarding the disappearance of 44-year-old, Kathleen Mary O'Shea, who was reported missing at Atherton on January 13, 2006.

Kathleen O’Shea, who resided in Melbourne, had travelled to the Atherton Tablelands area where she was visiting her son who lived in Ravenshoe. She hoped to be present during the birth of her grandchild in early January.

Police were advised that the missing person was dropped off in Atherton about midday on December 29, 2005 by her son. Ms O’Shea indicated at this stage that she was going to visit friends in Mareeba. She was last seen by family members at this time.

Police have received information of various sightings in North Queensland and Melbourne however at this stage none of these sightings have been confirmed.

Ms O’Shea is described as 165cm, slim build, tanned complexion with long dark hair. She was last seen wearing a short skirt, button-up shirt and carrying a large red handbag with brown straps.

Anyone with information which could assist police with their investigations should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Police reopen missing woman case
December 29, 2006 - The Australian

POLICE have launched a new investigation into a Melbourne woman's disappearance a year ago in far north Queensland.
Kathleen Mary O'Shea, 44, disappeared one year ago today after arriving in Atherton with her 11-year-old daughter to attend the birth of her first grandchild.

But Ms O'Shea was not present at her grandchild's birth in January.

She was last seen alive by her son on December 29 when he dropped her off at an Atherton hotel to play pool.

Her disappearance was reported to police on January 13 and she failed to catch a pre-booked flight home to Melbourne on January 17.

Inspector John Harris from the Cairns police told ABC Radio today that the fresh investigation would involve “a new team of detectives who weren't on the original investigation”.

“They're not tainted by the first investigation.

“They'll review the entire file then they'll commence re-interviewing a number of people that have already been interviewed and no doubt (make) further lines of inquiry.”




entertainment in sydney
entertainment in sydney Counter