Felicity LOVEDAY and Adrian MENEVEAU


A 'cleansing ritual' and a chilling photo: Everything we know about the mum and son who disappeared at sea.



News Editor Mamamia

On December 11, 2019, Felicity Loveday and Adrian Meneveau set off in a boat from Frankston, Melbourne.

The mother and son were reportedly on a three-day journey to undertake a "cleansing ritual," to rid themselves of the evil spirits they believed they had awoken.

But the Victorians were never seen again, and the circumstances surrounding their disappearance have police stumped. 

83-year-old Felicity used to be a "worshipful master," the most powerful elected official for the Co-Freemasonry, a group which is linked to the secretive fraternal Freemasons society.

With an estimated six million followers around the world, Freemasons is adamant about the fact it is not a religion, or substitute for religion, it is a philosophy. 

"In a world often dictated by hate and segregation, membership of an organisation capable of uniting men of all religions, colours and even accents is more relevant than ever," their Australian website reads.

It's hard to work out what exactly the society does, its origins come from literal stonemasons responsible for constructing Europe’s castles and cathedrals during the Middle Ages. These days, they claim "Freemasonry means different things to each member". 

Nonetheless, this mother and son were on a mission, determined to rid themselves of the "black magic" they'd disturbed during meditation, reports the Herald Sun. They believed they needed to be on salt water to destroy the spirits. 

Days after they set off, their boat was found submerged near Ricketts Point, about 20km from the boat ramp from which they left. 

Their bodies have never been recovered, but as the investigation continues a creepy theory has emerged.

A photo was taken by the pair's sister and daughter Christina the morning they left, showing a pale-faced Felicity waiting for her son to get the boat ready.

According to the Herald, Victoria Police Marine Investigators have considered the theory that she may in fact have been dead when the photo was taken.

“There are many aspects to this investigation that appear suspicious and strange,’’ Sen-Constable Chris Obst told the paper.

The 83-year-old had severe dementia and relied on her son for full time care. His sister told police she'd expressed concerns for her elderly mother on the journey, but her brother assured her that she would be okay and even texted her on December 13 to tell her they were "having a good time". 

But the story gets murkier still.

Police have noted that for a three day trip, the boat was "definitely not" suitable for sleeping in, especially for an elderly woman. It had no sleeping quarters or even shelter. The story gets stranger still with the revelation, as told to the Herald, that Adrian bought a second boat just weeks before their trip. 

It was purchased online and Adrian drove it to Adelaide by himself (for reasons that remain a mystery), but detectives have failed to locate it since.

Investigations continue and anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.



Melbourne mum Felicity Loveday and son missing in Port Phillip Bay: Inquest hears of suspicious photo and internet search

Karen Sweeney 7 News

A mother and son who disappeared on a boat trip in Port Phillip Bay in an attempt rid the elderly woman of “bad magic” didn’t stand a chance.

The boat that 83-year-old Felicity Loveday and Adrian Meneveau, 56, left Frankston on for a three-day trip on December 11, 2019 was recovered but the pair have never been found.

Loveday believed in and practised Buddhist mysticism for the greater part of her life, an inquest in the Victorian Coroners Court was told on Wednesday.

For the last seven years of his life Meneveau had also followed his mother’s spiritual beliefs, while acting as her full-time carer.

Loveday had dementia as well as other medical conditions and had suffered a stroke a year before her disappearance. Meneveau had a history of mental illness.

The inquest has heard Meneveau believed his mother had incited bad magic by practising her spiritual beliefs and it could only be dispelled with salt water.

Meneveau bought a boat, which he registered and insured in his sister’s name. He gave his sister Christina his online passwords, banking credentials and document appearing to be a will, leaving his estate to her.

Detective Chris Obst said in the days before the duo disappeared, searches for “sea burial” had been made on Meneveau’s computer.

Christina Meneveau helped her mother onto the boat on December 11 and saw them off, both wearing life jackets.

She reported them missing on December 14.

Obst said he was immediately suspicious about the circumstances.

“For me it was the significant delay in the report, it was Felicity being 83 years old and frail and believing that she was going to be OK on a vessel for three days on Port Phillip Bay,” he said, describing the boat as a lake fishing vessel at best.

“I can categorically say from December 11 to 15 when the vessel was located, that vessel in those conditions would not have stood a chance.

He was also suspicious about a photo taken at the time of departure.

The boat was found switched off, in neutral and capsized on December 15.

Loveday and Meneveau’s life vests were both found.

The inquest heard Christina Meneveau made a claim on the insurance policy in January last year and was paid out the insured value.

Obst said there were exhaustive proof of life checks for both Loveday and Menevea - who had talked about living off the grid after his mother’s death - but nothing has been found.



Police close creepy case into Loveday ‘evil spirits’ disappearance

The mystery of a black magic-practicing mother and son who vanished in a trip at sea to rid themselves of ‘evil spirits’ may never be solved, police say.

Rhiannon Tuffield


A mother and son who disappeared after venturing out to sea to rid themselves of “evil spirits” may never be found.

Felicity Loveday, 83 and her 56-year-old son Adrian Meneveau were last seen on December 11, 2019 as they set off in a boat from Olivers Hill Boat Ramp in Frankston.

Police have said they believed Mr Meneveau was planning to ‘cleanse’ Felicity – the South African-born former ‘worshipful master’ of a sect known as the Co-Freemasons – of evil spirits on the planned three-day boat trip.

But despite an extensive investigation, where police questioned the whereabouts of a mystery second boat and even probed whether Felicity was already dead before the pair set off, the case has now been completely closed.

Felicity and Adrian told family they were going on a trip that was expected to last for just a couple of days.

Five days later their empty boat was found submerged by a fisherman at Ricketts Point about 20km from the boat ramp where they had left.

Detectives from the Marine Investigation Unit now believe the pair is dead and found no substantive evidence of foul play, Victoria Police confirmed to NCA NewsWire.

The Frankston mother and son were into sorcery and investigators were told Ms Loveday believed she had evoked a harmful presence and that the only way to get rid of it was to venture out to sea. Ms Loveday was born in South Africa and had practised spiritual rituals most of her life.

She was formerly a senior figure of the secretive Co-Freemasonry society, where she held positions such as the “Worshipful Master”.

Ms Loveday was known on the Gold Coast for participating in local choir and yoga groups, but suffered severe dementia and moved to Melbourne to be with her two children.

“Adrian and Felicity were practising meditation for some time and believed Felicity had woken black magic and Adrian felt responsible for it,” Senior Constable Chris Obst told the Herald Sun last June.

“The boat trip was a means of reversing it – they needed to be on the salt water to get rid of the black magic.”

Australia’s Freemason society has publicly distanced itself from the black magic beliefs held by “Sister Loveday”.

“The personal beliefs and practices are in no way associated with Freemasonry nor are they associated with her role as a former presiding officer of one of our Lodges,” said Australian Federation of Freemasons Grand Commander Richard Thomas.

Early in the investigation police questioned whether Felicity was already dead when the pair left after a creepy photo emerged of a pale Felicity sitting in the boat

Ms Loveday‘s daughter Christina rubbished the speculation, telling the Daily Mail her mother had been “very much alive.”

“For the sake of accuracy, I took the photo and Felicity was very much alive,” Christina Loveday said.

“She has dementia, and had spent a lot of time indoors, so she generally looked pale, and was mostly napping.”

Mr Meneveau also purchased a second boat weeks before he and his mother went missing.

He bought the vessel from an online seller but police have not been able to locate it.

Ms Loveday’s daughter Christina was the last person to see her brother and mother before the trip, and told police she expressed concerns about the voyage.

Her 83-year-old mother had severe dementia and relied on Mr Meneveau for full time care.

But when Christina expressed her concerns, her brother reportedly told her he would keep in contact.

On December 13 he sent her a text message saying they were having a “good time”.

Christina reported them missing a day later and their boat was found submerged the following day on December 15.

The case will now be handed over to the Coroner’s Court.