***Leisl's hair has been dyed blond and is pulled back in a pony tail.


NSW Police are appealing for public assistance to locate a woman reported missing on the Central Coast.

Leisl Smith, aged 23, was last seen about 1pm on Sunday 19 August 2012, leaving her Wallarah home.

Ms Smith failed to return home and has been reported missing to police.

At the time of her disappearance, Ms Smith was driving a silver coloured Honda Accord with NSW registration BJO-27S.

She is described as being of Caucasian appearance, with a thin build, brown eyes and dye

d blonde hair.

Anyone with information about Ms Smith’s current location or recent movements is asked to contact Tuggerah Lakes Police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Anyone with information about this incident should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/. Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

'Out of character': concerns for animal lover Leisl


Glenda Kwek

Reporter - SMH

Leisl Smith had been looking forward to the birth of a foal in late August.

But since August 19, the 23-year-old animal lover has been missing from her Wallarah home on the central coast.

Three months after she was last seen leaving her home in her Honda Accord about 1pm, police said they were continuing their investigation into her "suspicious disappearance" and have appealed for help from the public.

“Leisl is an animal lover and her horse gave birth to a foal in late August. She was very excited about the impending birth and the fact that she missed the event is worrying," Detective Inspector Dave Waddell of Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command said.

"Leisl's disappearance is very much out of character and police and her loved ones are extremely concerned for her welfare."

Police said Ms Smith's family called them after she failed to return home.

Ms Smith, who was described as a thin woman of Caucasian appearance with brown eyes and dyed blonde hair, has not used her mobile phone or accessed her bank accounts, police said.

Her Honda was found at Tuggerah railway station car park one week after she was last seen and police were forensically examined it.

Investigators believe she may have travelled to the Hunter or Tamworth and Armidale areas.

Detectives from Tuggerah Lakes formed Strike Force WEHL and appealed for anyone with information to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

“We are keen to hear from anyone who might have seen or heard from Leisl in the last few months. In particular, if anyone in the Hunter or Tamworth/Armidale areas has seen Leisl or a woman matching her description, we'd ask them to come forward,” Detective Inspector Waddell said.


Search for missing woman takes twist


Nick Ralston - SMH

Crime Reporter

The search for missing central coast woman Leisl Smith has taken a dramatic turn with police searching a property located less than a kilometre from her family home.

Ms Smith, 23, was last seen on August 19 when she left her home at Wallarah on the central coast and drove to Tuggerah train station around 1pm.

Security camera footage at the station showed her getting out of her Honda Accord, locking it, and then walking away from the station and not boarding a train.

Eight months on and in a major development in the investigation, police spent Thursday searching the property in the same street where Leisl had been living with her father, Storm Smith.

The property is owned by a local farrier who is understood to have known the missing 23-year-old, who also worked with horses.

A second property at Clarence Town, just north of Newcastle, that is linked to the same man was also searched.

Police on Thursday night refused to say if they were looking for a body or if anything had been found at either property.

Ms Smith's family, who had hoped the 23-year-old may have run away, have been told to prepare themselves for the worst.

The property searches come two days after Ms Smith's 24th birthday.

Fairfax Media revealed in February that, two days after Leisl was last seen alive, her father received a mysterious text message from her mobile phone.

It read: ''F--- you. I can't do this and I'm not going to keep your secret any more.''

Storm Smith, who is close to his daughter, said he had no idea what she could have been talking about. He immediately called her but her phone had already been switched off. The next day he received another text message, again sent from his daughter's mobile number.

''I'm really sorry dad. Please don't be angry,'' it read. He has not received any messages from the phone since.

Although initially concerned when she did not return that day, Mr Smith said he knew something had gone astray when he received the text messages on the Tuesday.

''I thought, 'Oh my god,' '' he said. ''That was when I started to think, 'What the hell is going on?'''

More worrying for the family was that Ms Smith, a devout animal lover who was ''bloody exceptional with horses'', missed the birth of a foal in late August. That was an event that anyone who knew Leisl said she would not have missed for the world.

On a Facebook page set up to help find Leisl, her parents on Thursday urged everyone to share their daughter’s story.

"Please, Leisl has been gone from our midst for so long, SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE MUST KNOW SOMETHING," they wrote.


Police on Friday morning could not say whether officers had discovered anything of interest at the properties searched on Thursday.

Little hope remains as police search for body of Leisl Smith

POLICE have questioned a "person of interest" into the disappearance of horse-lover Leisl Smith, prompting an excavation of properties on the state's Central Coast yesterday for her remains.

A source has told The Daily Telegraph several properties in the Tuggerah area and also further north in Gloucester were scoured.

A person is believed to have been interviewed at length by detectives at Wyong Police Station. Ms Smith went missing on August 19 last year after leaving her Wallarah home by car at 1pm.

Concerned family members informed police of Ms Smith's disappearance when she failed to return home and police have been involved in an extensive search ever since.

Her car, a silver Honda Accord, was found abandoned at Tuggerah train station on September 26. Initial investigations revealed Ms Smith's mobile phone was used in the days after her disappearance but it appears she did not access her bank account or seek medical assistance.

Police are treating the disappearance as suspicious.

At the time, Ms Smith's parents expressed disbelief that their daughter would leave her horse Molly who was due to give birth to a foal.

The latest development in the investigation comes just hours after Ms Smith's parents posted on a Facebook page devoted to her: "My friends, we need you, now more than ever, someone must know something."

Their daughter would have turned 24 on Tuesday.

Friends again took to social media to send her birthday greetings over the weekend.

Jenni Lind wrote: "Happy birthday Leisl. May you be safe wherever you are."

Donella Waters said: "Happy Birthday Leisl. My wish is that you are safe and you can somehow get a message to your loved ones to put them at ease."

Friends and family have posted photos of Ms Smith, painting her as a friendly family-orientated young woman who loved animals.

Strike Force WEHL was set up late last year to investigate her disappearance. Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command crime manager Detective Inspector Dave Waddell said the disappearance was "very out of character".

"Leisl is an animal lover and her horse gave birth in late August. The fact she missed the event is worrying."

Police scour properties as the search for Leisl Smith continues

Friday, 05 April 2013 01:15:21 PM

Police have conducted property searches as they continue their inquiries into the suspicious disappearance of a Central Coast woman last year.

Leisl Smith, 23, left her Wallarah home in her car about 1pm on Sunday 19 August 2012.

Concerned family members alerted police when she failed to return home and she could not be located or contacted.

Extensive searches were conducted for Leisl; however, police have been unable to locate her.

Strike Force Wehl – comprising detectives from Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command – was subsequently formed to investigate her disappearance.

Leisl’s car, a Honda Accord, was found abandoned at the Tuggerah Lakes Railway Station car park on Wednesday 26 September.

Strike Force detectives spoke to a 42-year-old man before searching two properties in Wallarah and Brookfield yesterday (Thursday 4 April 2013).

Officers attached to the Public Order and Riot Squad, Operational Support Group, Police Divers and general duties police from Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command assisted during the searches.

Police located and seized a number of items, which will be examined further.

Tuggerah Lakes Crime Manager, Detective Inspector David Waddell, said there are serious concerns for Leisl’s welfare.

“Leisl’s disappearance is out of character and investigators are treating it as suspicious,” Det Insp Waddell said.

“We believe Leisl was in contact with this man the day she disappeared and we hope he may be able to help us put the pieces of this puzzle together.

“Our inquiries have revealed that Leisl’s mobile phone was used in the days immediately after she was reported missing; however, she has not accessed her bank accounts or sought any assistance since that time.

“We are again appealing for anyone who has any information that may assist the investigation to come forward,” Det Insp Waddell said.

The search is continuing today (Friday 5 April 2013) and the investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information about this incident should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/. Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.