Judan Zachariah Rueben Wolfe MATTATHYAHU

  Missing Person - Judah Zachariah Rueben Wolfe MATTATHYAHUJudah Mattathyahu

Hair: Blonde/Brown
Build: Solid
Height: 180cm
Distinguishing features: Scar across throat; boar tattoo on chest; wolf face tattoo on upper left arm.
Circumstances: Judan Mattathyahu was last heard from on 12/11/83. He had called a friend, asking him to come to his residence and collect him. When the friend arrived there was no sign of Mr Mattathyahu and he has not been heard from or seen since that time.



Tuesday, 29 November 2011 - 12:33 pm.

Tasmania Police is renewing calls for public assistance into a long-term missing person enquiry.  Judah Zachariah Rueben Wolfe Mattathyahu was last seen on or about 11 November 1983.

Judah Zachariah Rueben Wolfe MATTATHYAHU

Born on 27 July 1934, Judah Zachariah Rueben Wolfe Mattathyahu was last seen alive 28 years ago, on or about 11 November 1983, at a property at Black Jack Road, Slopen Main, on the Tasman Peninsula.  At that time, Mr Mattathyahu resided alone in a hut on a farming property there.

It is believed Mr Mattathyahu, who was aged 49 at the time he went missing, was born and raised in England and arrived in Australia in 1973.  He has no known relatives in Australia.

Mr Mattathyahu was known to live a fairly nomadic life style, in that he regularly travelled to various parts of Australia where he would live and work on a casual basis.  He predominantly kept to himself and usually lived alone.

He did not appear to have regular work or an occupation, but rather he would seek employment as required to maintain an income from which to lead a relatively simple lifestyle. 

In the time leading up to his disappearance his employment was best described as a ‘bushman’ in the forestry industry.   Between 1976 and 1977 Mr Mattathyahu worked in logging operations on the Tasman Peninsula and Huon Valley areas.  At the conclusion of this employment he worked for another forestry contractor in the Maydena area. 

Around 1981, Mr Mattathyahu was employed in the Table Mountain (Central Highlands) area.  Between April and June 1982 Mr Mattathyahu was working for a forestry contractor on a property at Slopen Main on the Tasman Peninsula.

Mr Mattathyahu didn’t own a motor vehicle nor did he have an Australian drivers licence.  and appears to have been entirely reliant upon friends and associates for his travel requirements.

Circumstances Surrounding Disappearance

On Friday 11 November 1983, Mr Mattathyahu made arrangements with friends to be transported from Slopen Main to Huonville on Saturday 12 November 1983.  At 9.30pm on the Saturday evening (12 November 1983) a friend arrived at Slopen Main to collect him, but there was no sign of Mr Mattathyahu.

Mr Mattathyahu has not been seen since.  He has not accessed bank accounts nor contacted friends or family.
Although it was considered unusual that Mr Mattathyahu was not at Slopen Main at the arranged pick-up time, it was not, given his lifestyle, initially suspected by his associates at that time, that his disappearance was unusual.

Given his nomadic lifestyle and the fact he had no family residing in Australia, it wasn’t until 4 March 1984 that Mr Mattathyahu was reported missing by friends. His disappearance was investigated at that time as a normal Missing Person investigation. 

Investigations at that time included a series of extensive searches being conducted in the vicinity of his residence and interviewing known friends and associates.  No further evidence as to the fate of Mr Mattathyahu was discovered and he has not been seen nor heard from by any person since. 

Mr Mattathyahu was known by a number of variations to the spelling of his surname, also by the surname Mattahias, and by the Christian names, Judah, Karl, Ruben and  Zac.  He may also have been known to some persons as Karl or Ruben Wolfe.

Police seek information via Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 from anyone who may have any knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Mr Mattathyahu.

Police in new plea over 31-year-old mystery of missing man Judah Mattathyahu

  • TASMANIA Police hope fresh information about the disappearance of Tasman Peninsula man Judah Mattathyahu 31 years ago will help shed light on the mystery ahead of a coronial inquest into his disappearance.

    Detective Senior Sergeant David Richardson said police were actively investigating new leads in relation to the disappearance Mr Mattathyahu, and have been joined by Mr Mattathyahu’s family members in appealing for more information.

    Mr Mattathyahu was last seen alive at a property at Black Jack Rd on the Tasman Peninsula, where he lived alone in a simple hut, on November 12, 1983.

    “We can’t release details about the information, however it does relate to a person of interest in the disappearance of Mr Mattathyahu,” Mr Richardson said.

    “There has been a wall of silence surrounding this case. Someone knows something, and the

    family members or friends of that person may have suspicions or information. We are appealing

    to those people to contact us.”

    Mr Mattathyahu’s elderly mother recently died in the UK without ever knowing what happened to her son, and one of his half-brothers said the family had spent enormous amounts of time and energy seeking answers about the then-49-year-old, born Tony Zachary Harris in the United Kingdom.

    “We as a family would love to have some sort of final closure that would help us piece together the last chapter of his life. We therefore ask that the public come forward if they have any information on Tony that could help the police and draw this long search to its rightful conclusion.”

    The inquest begins on December 15.