Christopher JARVIS

Last seen: 12 June 2006
Year of Birth: 1968
Sex: Male
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Height: Unknown
Build: Medium
Complexion: Olive

Circumstances: At 0810 hrs on the 13/6/2006, Christopher JARVISís vehicle was recovered in the dunes at Thunder Point, Warrnambool. His vehicle had been set alight under suspicious circumstances. On the 14/6/2006, Christopher JARVIS was reported missing at Warrnambool Police Station. Christopher JARVIS was last seen by his defacto on the night of 12/6/2006 when he stayed at home. She believes he got up as usual to go to work at 0630 hrs on 13/6/2006. Work reports he did not show for work. He has not been sighted since.

Police appeal to any persons who may have information in relation to the whereabouts of Christopher JARVIS to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Search for missing man
SARAH SCOPELIANOS - Warnambool Standard
June 16, 2006

Picture, above - Search and rescue police officers Senior Constable Ryan Hartshorne and Senior Constable Russell Dehnert search Thunder Point for missing man Christopher Jarvis.

Picture: DAMIAN WHITE

A SEARCH has begun for the owner of a car found torched at Thunder Point earlier this week after he was officially reported missing.

Police revisited the area yesterday to inspect the burnt-out car and today the hunt for Christopher Jarvis, of Wangoom, will be stepped up with search and rescue police and SES members conducting line and coastal inspections at Thunder Point.

Mr Jarvis' 1989 Ford station wagon was found burning in bushes at the popular tourist lookout in Warrnambool on Tuesday.

The number plates on the torched car did not match the vehicle's registered plates, police said late yesterday.

Acting Sergeant Brendan Rowbottom said the 38-year-old truck driver was last seen leaving for work about 6.30am Tuesday morning and was reported missing to police by his de facto on Wednesday.

Acting Sergeant Rowbottom said yesterday Mr Jarvis never arrived at his workplace, a local company, and had not contacted family or
friends since he was last seen.

``Obviously family and friends are concerned for his welfare,'' Acting Sergeant Rowbottom said.

The car was found burning by a passer-by about 8am Tuesday and police are appealing for anyone who saw Mr Jarvis between 6.30am and 8.10am Tuesday or had any contact with him since to contact police.

``It is out of character and there is no evidence at this stage to suggest anything untoward or sinister has happened to him.

``The family is extremely distressed.

He has never gone missing before or given an indication he would.

``He took no personal belongings...no messages, letters or notes have been left behind to indicate he would harm himself.''

Late yesterday a police search and rescue team inspected the burnt-out car, the Thunder Point car park and cliff face but failed to find Mr Jarvis.


Search for missing Warrnambool man continues
Friday, 16 June 2006. 10:18 - ABC

A police search and rescue team will continue looking for a missing Warrnambool man today.

Thirty-eight-year-old Christopher Jarvis, from Wangum, was last seen on Tuesday morning.

His car was later found burnt out at Thunderpoint.

Search and Rescue Squad spokesman Sergeant Simon Brand says the squad searched the area yesterday, but found no evidence he has gone into the water.

Sergeant Brand says State Emergency Service (SES) crews will join the search today.

"To search more thoroughly around the vehicle for any evidence of the missing person, and then we will be helping them help us to look along the coast line for any other trace of the missing person," he said.


Search fails to find missing man - ABC
Monday, 19 June 2006. 13:43

The cliffs and coastline either side of Warrnambool have been searched today for a missing Warrnambool man.

Christopher Jarvis, 38, was last seen on Tuesday, with his abandoned car found burnt out a Warrnambool cliff top.

Warrnambool State Emergency Service controller Gerry Billings says the recovery effort resumed at first light, but has now stopped before starting again this afternoon.

"Because of the reef set-up and the seaweed, a good surge in the tide may be able to release somebody if they are underneath these reefs. It is a recovery operation at this stage," he said.


Searchers' hopes fading
SARAH SCOPELIANOS - The Standard
June 19, 2006

THE search for missing man Christopher Jarvis will continue today along Warrnambool's rugged coastline after weekend ground searches failed to find any trace.

State Emergency Service volunteers rode four-wheel bikes and walked the coastline from the Hopkins River to Port Fairy during the weekend looking for the Wangoom man.

Mr Jarvis, a father of four, was last seen leaving for work about 6.30am Tuesday.

His burnt-out car was found about 8am at the Thunder Point car park. Warrnambool SES unit controller Gerry Billings said about 200 man hours had been spent on the search so far without any signs of the 38-year-old.

The unit searched on Saturday with a skeleton crew and yesterday with 17 members in the morning and afternoon.

``We put bikes on the beach at Port Fairy to Levys Point and had another two at the breakwater to the Hopkins River,'' Mr Billings said. ``The ground search has included walking the clifftops and beach comprehensively from Levys Point to the breakwater,'' he said.

The operation was not a rescue and had become a recovery, Mr Billings said.

``The search will probably continue for another three days,'' he said.

Because of tidal movements and the effects of salt water the next few days were critical in finding Mr Jarvis if he was in the water, Mr Billings said.

Website counter