The hunt for missing Cheryl Grimmer may have taken a step closer to completion, with a new break in the case.


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Fairy Meadow beach and toilet block today. Picture: Stephen Cooper


                                                            Cheryl and her brothers                                                                           Cheryl with her father Vince 



          A composite image assembled by Police depicting how Cheryl may have looked in 2003, when she was 37. 

Mt St Thomas man's emotional plea: Help me find my sister

BY MICHELLE HOCTOR - Illawarra Mercury
01 Aug, 2009 05:00 AM


If Cheryl Grimmer is alive today, an unusual yet recognisable clue remains to her identity.

Cheryl, who disappeared from Fairy Meadow Beach almost 40 years ago, had a medical condition that made her bellybutton protrude about 10mm.

If she was abducted and raised with another family - one theory that was investigated - she would still be carrying this physical feature or would have had it removed.

It is a vital fact about the case that was published only once but never repeated.

With the launch of National Missing Persons Week tomorrow, Wollongong detectives are preparing a report for the NSW Coroner on Cheryl's case that may finally put it to rest.

Cheryl's brother, Stephen, 45, of Mount St Thomas, said his family was hoping a vital clue would emerge beforehand.

Mr Grimmer was just five years old when, on January 12, 1970, he and his elder brother, Ricky, and three-year-old sister Cheryl, went to the dressing-shed at Fairy Meadow Beach.

Within minutes the little girl had disappeared, launching one of the nation's biggest manhunts.

Despite intensive investigations over the years, not a single clue on her fate has been found.

Mr Grimmer said the torment suffered by his family had been immense.

He was extra vigilant with the safety of his own children - Jade, 10, and Aiden, 3 - and checked public amenities blocks with almost obsessive compulsion, making sure the buildings were clear of predators.

"I watch my children like a hawk," he said this week.

"Going to the beach, riding a bike - they are never out of my sight."

Mr Grimmer said he had little recollection about his sister's disappearance, or the intense investigation and media frenzy that followed.

"I just remember standing outside the dressing-shed with my older brother, waiting for my sister," he said.

The sensation surrounding the case eventually died down, only to resurface over the years when new policing technology emerged.

In 2003, police used photographs of Stephen, who is similar in appearance to his blue-eyed, fair-haired sister, to compile a computer image of what she might look like at the age of 37.

With the advent of DNA technology, he provided his DNA to the NSW Police database.

After 40 years, Mr Grimmer said his sister was always at the back of his mind, especially as his son is now the same age as Cheryl was when she disappeared, and bears a strong resemblance to his dad.

"I take the young bloke to the playground at the lagoon there, and look across Puckey's Estate and it makes me think. My mind goes back."


Old sighting raises hopes in Cheryl Grimmer cold case

BY MICHELLE HOCTOR - Illawarra Mercury
17 Aug, 2009 10:15 AM


After nearly 40 years, a vital clue may have emerged in the case of missing Fairy Meadow youngster Cheryl Grimmer.

Wollongong detectives are investigating the sighting of a child matching the three-year-old's description, six months after she disappeared from Fairy Meadow beach on January 12, 1970.

If the claim proves correct, it would mean Cheryl might still be alive.

Cheryl disappeared after attending the men's amenities shed with her brothers Ricky and Stephen, following a day at the beach.

After the story of Cheryl's disappearance was recounted in the Mercury on August 1, the newspaper was contacted by a 79-year-old Windang man who was adamant he saw Cheryl on Windang Beach in the winter of 1970.

The man, who asked not to be named, said the sighting had haunted him for 39 years.

''I tried twice to tell police. The second time I was told the case was too old and to just forget it,'' he said.

The man said he was with his four-year-old daughter on the beach in June or July of 1970 when a little blonde girl approached them.

''A cold westerly wind was blowing and this little girl came from nowhere. She was a blonde girl with a fringe, exactly the same as what was in the paper.

''She was wearing a pair of black school shoes with no laces in them. She had the same chubby legs.

''She was more interested in our dog than she was in us. I thought, 'what would she be doing running around by herself?'

''I asked her, 'How are you?' She just looked at me and ran off.

''I followed her back to the caravan park.

''She went into this bus where two dark people were, they were Portuguese or something and I thought, 'how could they have a little girl that fair?'''

Despite living at Windang since the 1950s, the 79-year-old said he did not connect the youngster on the beach with the Grimmer case.

''About five years later the Mercury put out a photo of Cheryl with her father and when I saw it I said 'that's the little girl from the beach'.''

The man said he reported the sighting to police, but baulked after being asked why he had not reported the information sooner.

''I thought I was interfering with somebody's life. They might have been a legal family so I left it.''

Another Mercury article in 1980 prompted the man to contact a detective who was a family friend.

''He said he would pass the information on. A couple of days later he said, 'Just forget about it, it's gone on too long'.

''But I've been unable to forget about it.

''I've worried all this time that it was her.''

The man described the vehicle in which the child entered as a newly reconditioned early model school bus that was about 6m in length.

It had a dark blue body, black mud guards and black roof and ''brilliant'' white wheels.

''Somebody must have seen those two people with a blonde girl, if not at Windang then elsewhere moving around in that bus.''

The man's sighting has some correlation with Cheryl's disappearance, when a dark skinned man was also reported carrying a small blonde girl wrapped in a blanket leaving the Fairy Meadow surf club amenities block.

Wollongong Detective Senior Sergeant Brad Ainsworth said the man's claim was being looked into.

He said if police believed it held substance, it would be included in a report to the NSW Coroner.

''The report is 95 per cent complete and the coroner will make a directive based on the information provided in the report,'' he said.

Cheryl's brother Stephen, 45, of Mt St Thomas, said he would let the detectives decide what to do.

''It's been so long,'' he said.


Cheryl Grimmer disappearance: ‘A cheeky grin’ at brother and then she was gone

THE cheeky smile on Cheryl Grimmer’s face as she stood in the doorway of the beach toilet block nearly 47 years ago, ­refusing to come out, is etched forever in the memory of her oldest brother Ricki.

It was about 1.30pm on a boiling hot January day at Fairy Meadow beach near Wollongong.

Mum-of-four Carole had told Ricki to take his two brothers — Stephen, 5, and Paul, 4 — and his three-year-old baby sister Cheryl to change out of their wet swimmers in the nearby block.

Carole was just metres away on the sand when Ricki went to ask for her help to get Cheryl out of the toilets.

It took just 30 seconds, but by the time they got back to the block Cheryl was gone, never to be seen again.

“I can still see her standing in the doorway, saying she wouldn’t come out, and I said ‘I’d better go get mum so she can get you out’ and she was laughing,” Mr Nash, 54, who changed his name due to the publicity and for other personal reasons, recalls.

“It’s something our family has had to put up with for over 40 years. I think it put both my parents in early graves.

“Hopefully, this new investigation gives us some kind of resolution. I don’t want to blame the past for never dealing with it, but it probably caused my marriage breakup.”


Cheryl Grimmer disappearance: Cops close in on little girl’s killer 47 years later

DETECTIVES have made a spectacular breakthrough in the unsolved abduction of a three-year-old girl from a NSW beach almost 47 years ago and have a suspect they believe was missed in the original investigation.

A review of the tragic kidnapping and presumed murder of bubbly three-year-old Cheryl Grimmer at Fairy Meadow beach near Wollongong has led police to believe she was taken by a teenager who would now be in his 60s.

Her disappearance from outside a shower block on the afternoon of January 12, 1970, sparked a massive search but no trace of the little girl or her body has ever been found.

Two weeks ago, detectives staged a re-enactment of that fateful day, and today they are due to hold a press conference in Fairy Meadow with Cheryl’s three brothers, who were with her on the day she disappeared, to appeal for the killer to turn themselves in.

“Cheryl never came home to the family that day and her parents died without knowing what happened,” Detective Sergeant Damian Loone, who is leading the investigation, told The Daily Telegraph.

“She leaves behind three other brothers who terribly miss her to this day.

“We are appealing to the conscience of that person to come forward and tell us what happened to Cheryl.

“It’s time to come clean and absolve yourself and tell us what happened on that day — and, more importantly, for the family. If not for yourself, do it for them.’’

The re-enactment was sparked by a review of the case when Det Sgt Loone and fellow Wollongong officers Detective Senior Constables Frank Sanvitale and Craig Barrass picked up Cheryl’s file and found information they believe was not followed up thoroughly at the time.

Unlike many cold cases, the new information was not from advances in forensics but came from going over boxes and boxes of paper to find any forgotten clues.

The officers are now working with the state’s Unsolved Homicide Squad on the leads.

It was a family day at the beach when the weather turned about 1.30pm and Cheryl’s mum Carole Grimmer sent her and her brothers Ricki, 8, Stephen, 6 and Paul, 5, to shower at a toilet block near the surf club.

Just minutes later Ricki ran to his mother and said Cheryl wouldn’t come out of the shower block. She followed Ricki back to the sheds, but by the time they got there, Cheryl was gone. And she has never been seen since.

“She was gone in just a minute or two,’’ Ricki, 54, said last week. “It’s something I still live with every day.’’

There were reports that a man was seen lifting a girl to drink at a bubbler before racing off with her. Another report said she was seen being driven off in a white car.

The current investigators say there are a number of reasons why they are now convinced the person most likely responsible for taking Cheryl was in fact a teenager seen running from the area towards bushland.

“As a result of that reinvestigation and examination of all the information in the files, we are looking at a particular suspect originally missed on the day little Cheryl Grimmer was taken from the beach,’’ Det Sgt Loone said.

“We now believe the person responsible would be in his early 60s, and it’s quite possible that he (is) still alive.’’

The youth was described at the time as caucasian, aged between 16 and 17, with a medium build, brown hair, blue eyes and fair complexion. He was about 152cm tall.

“We don’t want to release all the information — suffice to say we are confident we are on the right track,” Det Sgt Loone said. “We are calling this a breakthrough in the investigation. It’s something that was missed over the years.’’

Grimmer family’s torment still goes on

FOR nearly 50 years, the kidnapping of Cheryl Grimmer has haunted team after team of detectives who have tried to find out what happened to the gorgeous little girl.

Her parents, John and Carole, had come from England the previous year and were living in a hostel not far from the beach.

Cheryl’s father was a Sapper in the Australian Army whose barracks were located in Penrith. He was not at the beach the day his daughter vanished.

At first, local detectives thought the toddler may have wandered off before stories about a “mystery’’ man in an orange swimsuit seen grabbing her and running off emerged.

Then there were stories of a man in a white car seen with a child fitting Cheryl’s description in the front seat.

Three days after her kidnapping, a ransom note for $10,000 was sent to Cheryl’s parents.

Police set up a trap at the drop-off location with officers nearby disguised as council workers — but no one made the pick-up.

There were a number of confessions that never checked out, and one particularly cruel phone call to the Grimmers from a man saying he strangled Cheryl the same way he had killed Vicki Barton in the Blue Mountains 18 months earlier.

A man arrested for Vicki Barton’s murder was never connected to Cheryl’s case.

There were also stories that she had been snatched to live with a childless couple.

The family clung to a forlorn hope that she might still be alive.

But a coroner’s inquest in 2011, after a reinvestigation of the case three years earlier, found Cheryl was presumed dead after being kidnapped.


Development in 46-year kidnap/murder mystery - Illawarra

Monday, 05 December 2016 10:03:00 AM - NSW Police


Fresh information has led to a new development in a 46-year mystery in the state’s Illawarra: the kidnapping and suspected murder of three-year-old, Cheryl Grimmer.


The toddler was abducted outside the change-rooms of Fairy Meadow Beach on 12 January 1970, and despite decades of determined investigation, she has never been found.


Now, almost 50 years later, detectives have received new information about Cheryl’s suspected kidnapper.


The investigation under Strike Force Wessel, comprising officers from Wollongong Local Area Command and the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Team, is focusing on a male youth seen in the immediate vicinity of the surf club pavilion in the morning and afternoon of the day Cheryl was taken.


The youth is described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 152cm or 5’ tall, with a medium build, brown hair, blue eyes and fair complexion.


At the time, it is believed he was aged between 16 and 17, and would now be aged in his early 60s.


Acting on that information, strike forces detectives recently returned to Fairy Meadow Beach with several key witnesses in a bid to further draw on their memories.


Now aged in their 50s, those witnesses were aged nine, 10 and 12 at the time.


They were joined by Cheryl’s brother, Stephen, who has never stopped trying to find his sister.


Mr Grimmer, now aged 52, was sent with Cheryl and their two brothers by their parents to the change-rooms to use the showers after a day at the beach.


That’s when detectives believe she was snatched.


The case was subject to a Coronial Inquest in May 2011, the Coroner ruled Cheryl had died sometime after her disappearance, and the cause unknown. It was then referred to the Unsolved Homicide Team for review.


Wollongong Local Area Command Crime Manager, Detective Inspector Brad Ainsworth, said Cheryl’s disappearance is a mystery they still desperately want to solve.


“Cheryl’s kidnapping sparked a massive manhunt and stunned the Illawarra,” Det Insp Ainsworth said.


“Cheryl’s dad, Vince, a former soldier, and her mother, Carole, died never knowing what happened to their daughter.


“The witnesses’ return to the beach has yielded promising results, and we hope someone in the community may be able to help us identify this male youth.


“We would dearly love to provide answers to Steve and his family, solve this matter for the people of the Illawarra, and ultimately provide Cheryl with some dignity in death,” Det Insp Ainsworth said.


Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: / Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our social media pages.