Azucena "Asing" & Harry Jnr POLLARD


Azucena 'Asing' Pollard and her son Harry jnr. disappeared sometime between January 8 and June 4, 1987 from Tumbarumba NSW .

In July 1987 relatives in the Philippines notified police of their disappearance.  Her husband says "she ran away to Melbourne with another man in mid- March 1987". A coronial inquiry concluded that there was a prima facie case against Harry Pollard for murder, but the OPP decided at that time not to proceed. The case was reopened late 1995 and was initially listed for hearing on 14 March 1997 in he NSW Supreme Court. On 15 September 1997 Pollard's motion that proceedings on the indictment be stayed was rejected by the court. We do not know what date was set for trial.


ó Dee Dicen Hunt

Annabel Sabellano Strzeleckiís husband says he has not seen his wife since she left home in the early hours of June 6, 1998 supposedly in the company of a Filipina and a man who he had not met before that night.

The couple had lived in the Clare, South Australia area since 1989. They married in the Philippines when she was 19 and Jim Strzelecki, a former opal miner, was 63.

Major Crime Detective Inspector John Peake said the missing womanís disappearance was out of character. "The fact she has still not yet been discovered tends to show that she could have met with foul play. But thatís not to say she isnít out there alive and well and doesnít want to be discovered."

Annabelís friends say she was totally devoted to her two children, Rachel 5, and Richard 7, and she would not have left the marriage without taking them with her. The children are being cared for by relatives in Adelaide.

Reporter Penelope Debelle in The Age described the church service organised by Annabelís friends thus: "At the service of remembrance at the Clare Uniting Church, a purple cloth was draped from the cross and on to this women pinned large black tears.

"One black tear we weep upon the cloth of sorrow. One black tear for all those women who have come to this land dreaming of a better life, only to find a nightmare.

"Filipino women from all over the district came to the service. The cultural bonds are strong and the Reverend Tony Eldridge says the women support each other."

"She was very gentle and a good mum," said a close friend. "She was a very generous person. She didnít have a lot, but what she did have she always wanted to share."

According to data collected by the Centre for Philippine ConcernsĖAustralia (CPCA), Annabel is one of six Filipinas gone "missing" in Australia since 1980.

We still do not know the whereabouts of Azucena "Asing" Pollard who in 1987 was reported by her husband, Harry, to have run away from their home in Tumbarumba, NSW taking their baby son with her. Nenita Evans of Melbourne, Victoria also disappeared in 1987 and Jean Angela Keir of NSW was last seen in February 1988. The police investigated the possible link between Jeanís disappearance and the violent death in 1991 of Rosalina Keir, the second Filipina wife of Thomas Keir. Due to lack of evidence, he was acquitted of Rosalinaís murder and no evidence of Jeanís situation came to light.

CPCA data lists Rosalina Keir as one of sixteen Filipino women murdered in Australia since 1980 in whose cases the perpetrator or suspect was their nonĖFilipino spouse, de facto partner, fiance, boyfriend or employer. Three children were also killed.