Above right - image  of what Eve may look like today, photo has been digitally aged.

   Police have swooped on a Karanja property

    Above - image of a man Police wish to speak to in relation to Eve's disappearance and   Police searched this Karanja house in 2012




Age at time of disappearance:
14 years
Build: Slim
Height: 157 cm
Hair: Red/Ginger
Eyes: Unknown
Distinguishing Features/Other:
Eve's thumbs are distinctive: described as though they have been pushed down and haven't quite grown back to their full length.
Eve went missing from her family's residence at Fitzgerald, TAS sometime during the night of the 16 November 1991.

She had moved to Tasmania from NSW in January 1989. Eve left a note indicating her intention to leave home after being grounded by her parents for smoking. There has been no contact since her disappearance. Tragically Eve is unaware that her parents have both since died. She has also become an Aunt.

New technique to aid in missing persons cases

Updated August 10, 2008 12:05:00 - ABC

Tasmania Police is using new techniques to help try and solve long standing missing person cases.

Age Enhancement Technology has been used on three photos of missing people.

The technology creates an image that shows how the person might look today.

15 year old school girl Eve Askew went missing from her Derwent Valley home in 1991. The new photo shows what she might look like today, aged 32.

Craig Taylor was nine when he disappeared in 1993.

Constable Jessica Reidy from Tasmania Police says the new image of him shows him as an adult.

"People who are very well meaning still ring up reporting sightings of Craig looking as though he would as a nine year old boy," Constable Reidy said.

"But he'd now be a 25 year-old man. So we find that that would be particulary helpful in helping people to know what to look for," she said.


Cold case re-opened

Updated November 26, 2011 11:45:26 - ABC

Tasmanian police have re-opened the investigation into the disappearance of 14 year old Eve Askew 20 years ago.

The teenager disappeared from her family home in the state's south on the 17th of November, 1991.

In 2001, police used an excavator to dig around the old Askew home at Fitzgerald, near Maydena, but did not find any new material.

Detective Inspector Colin Riley says the decision to re-open the case comes after a review of a number of cold cases.

"We believe that there's a member of the public or members of the public that have information and haven't come forward to police and that's why there's a reward of up to $100,000 for relevant information that results in a conviction of an offender in relation to the disappearance," he said.

"We are confident that there are members of the public who have something to tell us about this and they haven't told us previously."

Anyone with any information on Eve Askew's disappearance or whereabouts is asked to call a special investigation hotline on 0418 589 544.

Tuesday, 29 November 2011 - 12:33 pm.

Tasmania Police is renewing calls for public assistance into a long-term missing person enquiry.  Eve Askew was last seen alive on or about 16 November 1991.

Born on 26 May 1977, Eve Askew was last seen alive 20 years ago, on or about 16 November 1991, at her family home in Fitzgerald.  Eve was living with her mum and dad and her three siblings.  She was reported missing during the afternoon of 17 November 1991.

Eve was born in New South Wales and moved to Tasmania with her family in January 1989.

Eve was 14 years old when she went missing and was a grade 8 student at Glenora District High School.

Eve’s family describe her as being a shy and reserved person who did not interact with people easily, she would avoid meeting new people if she could.

At the time of Eve’s disappearance she was 157cm tall, of slim build, she had red hair and was of fair complexion with freckles. 

At the time of being reported missing her family indicated that she was wearing distinctive tracksuit.

(The above image is a photograph of Eve as she appeared at the time of her disappearance.)

Circumstances Surrounding Disappearance

Eve Askew went missing from her family residence at Gordon River Road, Fitzgerald at some stage during the evening of Saturday, 16 November 1991 and the morning of Sunday, 17 November 1991. 

Eve has not been seen since.  She has not accessed bank accounts nor contacted friends or family.  Investigations to date indicate that Eve has not assumed another name or identity.

Investigations at that time included a series of extensive searches being conducted in the vicinity of the family residence and interviewing known friends and associates.  No further evidence as to the fate of Eve was discovered and she has not been seen nor heard from by any person since. 

Police conducted further investigations into Eve’s disappearance in 2001, however, those enquiries failed to resolve this matter.

Police seek information from anyone who may have any knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Eve Askew.  There is a direct line to investigators on 0418 589 544.

There is a reward of up to $100,000 for relevant information that results in the conviction of an offender in relation to the disappearance.




Lead in missing teen case

   ZARA DAWTREY   |   December 14, 2011 12.01am - The Mercury

THERE has been a breakthrough in the disappearance of a Tasmanian teenager 20 years ago.

Eve Askew was 14 when she vanished from her family home in Fitzgerald, near Maydena, one night in November 1991.

A large-scale investigation at the time and a second a decade later failed to uncover any significant evidence as to the Glenora District High School Year 8 student's fate.

But since announcing late last month that the file would be revisited, Eastern CIB detectives have now produced an image of a person of interest.

Detective Inspector Colin Riley, who is heading up the investigation, is so far refusing to elaborate on what police believe the man's alleged role was in Eve's disappearance. However, it is clear the case is being treated as a murder investigation.

It is the first time a "person of interest" has been identified in relation to Eve's disappearance and the photo-fit picture released by police is of a high quality.

"We have received a steady stream of information since we announced the case was being revisited last month," Insp Riley said yesterday.

"Some of that information has produced strong new leads."


Police are appealing for the person pictured to come forward or for anyone who thinks they might know the man, believed to be between 60 and 65 years old, to contact police immediately.

He is understood to have been living in the New Norfolk area at the time of Eve's disappearance.

"This person may have information that will assist us and we need to speak to him," Insp Riley said.

He described the production of the photo image as "a major leap forward".

"We have a dedicated team of detectives working on this case and the information is coming in via letters, emails, phone calls and in person," Insp Riley said.

"Add the huge amount of community interest in what has long been a very troubling case to the fact we now have state-of-the-art forensic technology available, and we're hoping the outcome of this investigation might be very different to the previous two."

Eve's eldest brother Jake Askew recently told the Mercury his sister deserved to be at peace.

"If anyone out there knows something, consider how this must feel, please contact police," Mr Askew pleaded.

A reward of up to $100,000 has been offered for information leading to the apprehension of an offender, or to the recovery of Eve's body.

Information should be provided directly to investigators by phoning 0418 589 544.

Eve Askew breakthrough

   ZARA DAWTREY   |   April 11, 2012 10.42am - The Mercury

POLICE have made a major breakthrough in their reopened investigation into the suspected murder of 14-year-old school girl Eve Askew 20 years ago.

The Mercury can reveal detectives from Eastern CIB have searched properties in Uxbridge Road at Bushy Park and on Gordon River Road at Karanja.

Items have been seized from the Bushy Park home and a home and workshop at Karanja.

"The searches are one part of an investigation plan and not the end state," Detective Inspector Colin Riley said this morning.

He said investigators were determined to find evidence to prosecute the "principle offender or offenders" and "prosecute those persons who have assisted in the concealing of evidence that relates to the death".

Police will hold a media conference at the Bushy Park property this afternoon.

Eve Askew disappeared from her Fitzgerald home on November 16, 1991.

She was discovered missing from her bedroom in the morning when her parents went to wake her and has not been seen or heard from since.

There is a reward of up to $100,000 for relevant information that results in the conviction of an offender in relation to her disappearance.

Police search homes in missing girl case

POLICE may have made a breakthrough in their efforts to solve one of Australia's most puzzling crimes - the suspected murder of 14-year-old Eve Askew 20 years ago.

The schoolgirl, who had been grounded for smoking, disappeared from her home at Fitzgerald, a remote town in southern Tasmania, during the night of November 16, 1991.

Her family and friends have not seen the shy redhead since then but investigations are ongoing and there is a $100,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

Detective Inspector Colin Riley said police have seized items during searches at properties in Uxbridge Rd at Bushy Park and on Gordon River Rd at nearby Karanja, north of Hobart.

"The searches are one part of an investigation plan and not the end state but one of a number of police actions," the detective said in a statement.

He said officers were determined to find evidence to prosecute anyone involved in Eve's death or covering it up.

Eve, who was born in NSW, was living with her mum and dad and three siblings when she went missing.
She was described as a reserved child who would avoid meeting new people if she could.

Early police investigations involved a series of extensive searches near the family residence and interviews of known friends and associates.

Numerous leads have been followed up since then, including allegations a convicted rapist abducted and killed Eve and buried her body in bushland.

Since her disappearance Eve has become an auntie, and both her parents died in a car crash in 1996.

Late last year, after police launched a new investigation, her brother, Jake Askew, told the Mercury newspaper from the UK the case had taken a heavy toll on the family.

Police raid properties over missing teen

11 Apr, 2012 11:50 AM - The Examiner


POLICE have raided properties in the state's South in relation to the disappearance of teenager Eve Askew more than 20 years ago.

The 14-year-old was last seen alive in November 1991 at her family home at Fitzgerald.

Police have searched a property at Uxbridge Road, Bushy Park, as well as a property, workshop and house at Gordon River Road, Karanja.

Detective Inspector Colin Riley said police were determined to find evidence to prosecute the principle offender or offenders for Eve's death and prosecute those who have concealed evidence relating to her death.

Eve was born in New South Wales and moved to Tasmania with her family in January 1989 and attended Glenora District High School.

It is believed she had a fight with her parents Helen and Jim Askew and left a note indicating her intention to leave home after being grounded because of smoking. Mr and Mrs Askew died in a car crash at Granton in 1996.

At the time of her disappearance she was described as being 157 centimetres tall, of a slim build with red hair and a fair complexion with freckles. She was wearing a distinctive tracksuit.

Her family described her as a shy and reserved person who did not interact with people easily and avoided meeting new people if she could.

Investigators conducted extensive searches near the family home and interviewed friends and associates but no further evidence was found.

The case was reopened in 2011, after a 2001 investigation failed to turn up any useful information.

Anyone who has information about the circumstances surrounding Eve's disappearance is asked to contact investigators on 0418 589 544.

There is a reward of up to $100,000 for information that results in a conviction of an offender in relation to Eve's disappearance.

Southern man held over disappearance of girl, 14

12 Apr, 2012 08:47 AM


DETECTIVES have arrested a man in relation to the 1991 disappearance and suspected murder of Eve Askew who went missing from the Southern town of Fitzgerald, aged 14.

In what could be a massive breakthrough for detectives in the 21-year-old cold case, police have raided three properties and taken items from them after acting on ``very good information'' received last year.

Police raided a property, and a workshop and house at Gordon River Road, Karanja, and a property at Uxbridge Road, Bushy Park.

Today an excavator will be used at one of the Karanja properties. Police are also using penetrative radar to scan what is underground without having to dig.

Yesterday officers focused on the contents of a septic tank at the Karanja property.

``We're looking obviously for evidence in relation to her death and potentially the concealing of her death as well,'' Detective Inspector Colin Riley, of Eastern Criminal Investigation Branch, said.

``There is a male in custody who's helping us with our inquiries.''

He said the man was aged in his late 50s and had not been charged.

``At this stage we are concentrating on our searches but this is not the end game it is part of an ongoing investigation,'' he said.

``The investigators are pretty determined to find evidence to help prosecute the person or persons responsible.''

Five officers will spend the next two to four days looking for evidence on the properties.

Eve's next of kin had been informed

``They are supportive obviously, they want a solution so they are happy that we are still looking at this,'' he said.

``It is 21 years and as I said we are just really fortunate that information came in and we're acting on that information.''

Eve was attending Glenora District High School and living with her parents and three siblings when she went missing on November 16, 1991.

She was a shy and reserved teenager who did not interact with people easily and would avoid meeting new people if she could, police said.

At the time of her disappearance she was 157 centimetres tall, of slim build, with red hair and fair complexion with freckles.

At the time she was wearing a distinctive tracksuit.

Eve was born in NSW and moved to Tasmania with her family in January 1989.

Police are still seeking information from anyone who may have any knowledge of the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

There is a direct line to investigators on 0418589544.

There is a reward of up to $100,000 for information that results in the conviction of an offender in relation to the disappearance.


Clues uncovered in search for Eve Askew

12 Apr, 2012 03:37 PM - The Examiner


POLICE have today uncovered several items that they believe may provide clues to Eve Askew's disappearance 21 years ago.

The 14-year-old disappeared from her home at Fitzgerald in the state's South in November 1991.

About 35 officers, including five Australian Federal Police officers, are involved in a search at properties at Karanja and Bushy Park.

Eastern district CIB detective inspector Colin Riley said the items were found near a septic tank on a property formerly owned by a man who police have arrested and are continuing to hold in custody.

Police said the man, in his late 50s, was well known to Eve in the lead up to her disappearance.

They would not say if they were going to charge the man but said they were able to hold him ``for a reasonable amount of time'' under the law.

A $50,000 penetrative radar machine was used for the first time in Tasmania as part of today's search.

The investigation will continue tomorrow.


Police have 'good idea' of how Eve Askew died

13 Apr, 2012 04:00 AM - The Examiner


DETECTIVES are urging a frightened Southern community to show courage and give information concerning a teenager who disappeared and is suspected of being murdered nearly 21 years ago.

This information could lead to the hard evidence police need to corroborate ``a fairly good idea of the circumstances in relation to Eve Askew's death''.

Detective Inspector Colin Riley said he could sense fear in the towns of Bushy Park and Karanja as police closed in on solving the 1991 cold case, which saw the 14-year-old disappear from nearby Fitzgerald.

``What we've found is there seems to be a fear for people to come forward and actually speak up,'' Detective Inspector Riley said. 

``I just ask members of this local community to show a bit of courage and actually ring the mobile phone number and speak directly to investigators.''

He said the 0418 589 544 hotline had provided excellent information so far to investigators.

Acting on this, police seized two homes and a property full of mechanical equipment in Bushy Park and Karanja on Wednesday.

A man in his late 50s, who owns two of the properties and previously the other, was arrested and remains in custody but has not been charged.

Police believe the man and Eve knew each other shortly before she disappeared.

Detective Inspector Riley would not say whether he would be charged but said the man had been investigated and his properties searched a decade ago in relation to Eve's disappearance.

Police plan to hold him for as long as they can under the relevant legislation.

Yesterday investigators chased down a fresh lead on the disappearance in the state's North but Detective Inspector Riley would not give further details.

However, police are not ruling out more than one person being involved in Eve's death.

``I certainly encourage people to come forward now because I'm very confident that we are actually starting to find out exactly all those people that haven't come forward through our inquiries specifically in the last six months,'' Detective Inspector Riley said.

For now there would be no further arrests, he said.

The focus will remain on searching the grounds of a Karanja home formerly owned, but never lived in, by the man in custody.

The yellow house adjoins a large work site, which he now owns.

So far police have dug up a septic tank in the yard and discovered items they hope will be evidence.

``What we're doing here today, yesterday and the next couple of days is constructing pretty much an evidence brief to hopefully allow us to prosecute,'' Detective Inspector Riley said.

Excavation of the sites may continue until Saturday.

A reward of up to $100,000 is being offered for information leading to a conviction in relation to Eve's disappearance.

Police: Break silence now

THOSE who know what happened to Eve Askew have been urged to come forward before it is too late.

Lead investigator Colin Riley has revealed police have become aware of a sense of fear in the Bushy Park and Uxbridge communities, and says that fear is unfounded because police intend to resolve the 20-year-old mystery once and for all.

"It's difficult to quantify the reason for the fear why people won't come forward but it seems to be there," he said.

"As a general rule, the people we've spoken to seem to have some fear, and all I can say is we're determined to prosecute this matter and we're throwing sufficient resources at it to hopefully achieve resolution. This is the third time and it's not something that's just going to go away."

The massive search for evidence relating to the 1991 suspected murder of the 14-year-old schoolgirl yesterday focused on an area at one of the three properties seized by police on Wednesday.

It was excavated, and a second and possible third dig is planned for today.

Police are using a new weapon in the hunt for clues the Australian Federal Police has sent its ground-penetrating radar device to Tasmania along with federal officers.

The device played a key role in helping to find the remains of murdered Queensland boy Daniel Morcombe last year.

"When the ground penetrating radar surveys the ground it comes up with abnormalities in the ground and we try to determine what those abnormalities are before we dig," Inspector Riley said.

"Once we determine there's a requirement to dig we then ... check out what those abnormalities are," he said.

Items of interest have been located and the contents of the septic tank at the Karanja property are being checked.

The property is partially owned by a man in his late 50s who was arrested on Wednesday and is in custody in relation to the suspected killing.

Police would not specify what items had been collected.

A simultaneous search of the man's Uxbridge home continued yesterday after drug squad detectives allegedly removed an estimated 100 cannabis plants from the property on Wednesday.

Police are not ruling out the involvement of more people and are seeking evidence to prosecute those who potentially helped conceal Eve's death in 1991, and failed to come forward when the investigation was relaunched in 2001.

"I'd certainly encourage people to come forward now because I'm very confident we're actually starting to find out all those people who haven't come forward throughout our inquiries, specifically in the last six months," Insp Riley said.

"From the people who have contacted us we've actually received some excellent information, which we have acted upon, which I'm confident has or will produce evidence.

"I still believe there are people who know what happened and I ask them to contact investigators or it may well simply be that we're knocking on their door asking them to explain why they haven't come forward," he said.


$50,000 radar brought in by AFP for search

13 Apr, 2012 04:00 AM - The Examiner


TASMANIAN investigators are hoping a $50,000 radar that was used to help find the remains of Queensland teenager Daniel Morcombe will prove just as useful in the search for Eve Askew.

The ground penetrating radar is on loan from the Australian Federal Police and has come with five of its officers for the week.

Yesterday the radar was being used for the first time in Tasmania at a Karanja property seized as part of the investigation.

Like a typical radar it works by picking up difference in electrical activity. In this case, it allows investigators to ``see'' underground without actually having to dig it up.

The dense clay soil at the property limits the radar's effectiveness to 1 1/2 metres under the topsoil.

However, even if something is buried further underneath, the radar will still detect if any of the above soil has been disturbed. One of the radar's limitations is its inability to distinguish between a body and other inanimate objects detected.

Detective Inspector Colin Riley said the equipment had helped ``pave the way'' for the discovery of Daniel Morcombe's remains last year.

It is the only one of its type owned by the federal police.

It is not the only tool investigators are relying as they search three Southern properties looking for evidence about Eve's disappearance and likely death.

There are 35 police officers, including a forensic team, spread across the sites and two sniffer dogs - looking for drugs and firearms - in use as well. There are two excavators also on site.

Eve suspect released

THERE is no reason for community alarm after a suspect in the 1991 disappearance of 14-year-old Eve Askew was released from custody yesterday, police say.

Up to 35 police are involved in the renewed investigation into the suspected killing of the Fitzgerald teenager and they are continuing to dig up one of the suspect's two properties.

The Karanja property in the Derwent Valley was again teeming with police yesterday as a ground-penetrating radar device, on loan from the Australian Federal Police, was used in and around a large industrial shed erected some time after Eve's disappearance from her family home.

Detective Inspector Colin Riley said it was yet to be determined whether the shed and its deep concrete base would be dismantled in the search for evidence that has so far spanned three days.

It is expected to continue possibly into next week.

The Karanja site and the Bushy Park residence of the 50-something "person of interest" remain under police control and the man is not allowed to return to either site until further notice.

"He was released unconditionally at midday today," Insp Riley said yesterday.

"He is no longer with police. As to where he is I'm not sure."

He said police did not believe his release was cause for alarm despite revealing on Thursday that fear in the community was apparently preventing people from coming forward.

"What we're doing this week and the people we're speaking with is part of a larger investigative plan, and we're going through those lines of inquiry and obviously he's one of those."

He said the same man had been questioned by police when the investigation was reopened in 2001 and the same site was excavated, although in different sections from where this week's work has been carried out.

Askew search goes on

   THE MERCURY   |   April 15, 2012 12.01am

FORENSIC officers excavated inside a large shed at Karanja, in the Derwent Valley, yesterday in the continuing search for missing 14-year-old Eve Askew.

Tasmania Police Detective Inspector Colin Riley said officers had to remove heavy machinery to make the excavation possible.

The Australian Federal Police's ground-penetrating radar was used to survey a separate concrete slab on the Derwent Valley property.

All of the Uxbridge and Karanja properties being targeted in the search for the teenager's remains are still in police possession.

The owner of the properties was released from police custody on Friday.

Eve was last seen on November 16, 1991, at her family home at Fitzgerald in the Derwent Valley.

Anyone with information should contact police on 0418 589 544.

Eve case charges months off

   MICHELLE PAINE   |   April 16, 2012 12.01am - The Mercury

IT could be months before police lay charges in relation to the suspected murder of 14-year-old Eve Askew, after a four-day search of the properties of a suspect wound up yesterday.

The renewed investigation into the 1991 disappearance of the Glenora High School student was publicly revealed in November.

It is the third time detectives have tried to solve the mystery, focusing on the same properties at Uxbridge and Karanja, in the Derwent Valley.

But if anything was found this time, police are remaining tight-lipped.

A septic tank at the Karanja property was dug up last week and apparently items were removed from the tank and sent for forensic testing.

The area surrounding a nearby shed has also been the subject of intense examination, with three sites dug up at Karanja.

Police searching the Uxbridge home belonging to the part-owner of the Karanja property allegedly located dozens of cannabis plants but the man, in his late 50s, was released from custody on Friday without charge.

Detective Inspector Colin Riley says the Askew investigation is the priority and police are not being distracted by so-called side issues.

The man remains a "person of interest", but Det-Insp Riley says police do not know where he is or what he is doing.

He was arrested on Wednesday when police seized his home and the Karanja property and he spent the next two days in police custody before his release at midday on Friday.

Det-Insp Riley says the fact the searches are over does not mean the investigation has failed.

"These searches are one part of the investigation plan and are not the end state, but one of a number of police actions," he said yesterday.

"Investigators are particularly thankful to those members of the local community who have had the courage to contact the investigative team recently, which had provided quality information which will be acted upon."

Anyone with information about Eve's disappearance is urged to contact investigators on 0418 589 544. A reward of up to $100,000 is on offer.

Retired detective to consult on unsolved Tasmanian crimes in new bid to crack cold cases

By Edith Bevin- ABC

Posted updated 


One of Tasmania's most senior detectives has been brought out of retirement to act as a consultant to police on some of the state's most baffling unsolved crimes.

The former head of the state's first dedicated Cold Case Unit, Colin Little, has been hired back as a civilian contractor to review cold cases.

During his more than 30 years with Tasmania Police, the former commander reviewed the investigation into the 1995 stabbing murder of Italian tourist Victoria Cafasso on an east coast beach.

The killer remains at large.

Unlike previous cold case reviews, Mr Little will not be heading a team of investigators.

He will work solo on a desk-based review of the original case and investigation notes, rather than re-interviewing witnesses, original investigators and family members.

While other states have used the strategy, it is a first for Tasmania.

Tasmania Police said it would consider hiring back other investigators who have retired from its ranks as part of the new approach.

But another retired Cold Case Unit boss, Glenn Lathey, is not a fan of the strategy.

Former detective inspector Lathey is credited with bringing Stephen Standage to justice for the execution-style murders of Ronald Jarvis at Nugent in 1992 and John Thorn at Lake Leake in 2006.

"If one person is tasked with reviewing an entire investigation, in my mind … it would be a full-time task that would take you three or four years to do it thoroughly," he said.

"[I'm not convinced one person can do it] … unless they are acting in accordance with a specific terms of reference that might restrict the nature of the review that they're doing.

"It could take a team of five or six police officers anything between 12 months and two years just to complete a detailed review. It is a really, really exhaustive process that needs to be followed, as per the guidelines that we prepared some time ago when the Cold Case Unit was established back in 2008."

Police have refused to comment on exactly which cases are earmarked for review by the consultants.

But it is understood they include the suspected murder of 14-year-old Eve Askew in the Derwent Valley in 1991 and the disappearance of Judah Zachariah Reuben Wolfe Mattathyahu from Slopen Main in 1983.

Tasmania Police declined to comment on when the results of any reviews would be finalised and whether they would be made public.

Tasmania Police ups rewards in high-profile cold cases, including Christoper Watkins, Victoria Cafasso, Eve Askew

By Jessica Moran- ABC


Posted updated 

It's been almost eight years since Launceston mother-of-five Lillian Watkins last saw her son Christopher.

"It's been hell … not knowing where he is," she said.

Christopher was 28 years old when he disappeared from a unit in Box Street, Mayfield, on August 7, 2013.

Police believe he made a panicked phone call to a family member after two men he had a troubled history with visited the Mayfield home he shared with four other men. 

Police say there's significant, credible information that he was abducted and murdered, but so far no one has been charged.

"We believe this case is very solvable … and we would love for the person with that information to come forward."

Lillian said the hardest part is not having closure about what happened to her son.

"He was loving, fun, kind, had the biggest heart … he'd do anything for anybody," Lillian said.

"I don't really know [what happened to him] to be honest."

Police increase rewards for in high-profile murder cases

The case is one of seven high-profile murders or suspected murder investigations across the state which police have increased the reward for information that leads to a conviction to $500,000.

"This kind of money allows a fresh start," Assistant Commissioner Jonathan Higgins said.

"These rewards are an important investigative tool that may entice people with crucial information to come forward and provide this to police."

Other cases include then 26-year-old Nancy Grunwaldt who went missing from the east coast in 1993.

Extensive investigations have been carried out but she has never been located.

Italian tourist Victoria Cafasso, 20, was murdered on Beaumaris Beach also on the east coast in 1995.

No-one has been charged after several lengthy investigations.

Paul Winston Byrne, 32, was reporting missing in 1996.

It is strongly suspected he was murdered in Rossarden in north-east Tasmania.

Helen Munnings was 20 years old when she disappeared from the Burnie area around 23 July 2008.

The coroner determined Ms Munnings died in Burnie on or about this day.

It is strongly suspected she was murdered.

Simon Crisp was shot dead in the carpark of the Marrawah Hotel in the north-west in 2013 when he was 44 years old.

After extensive investigations, no-one has been charged.

Eve Askew, 14, was reported missing from her home in Fitzgerald in southern Tasmania in November 1991.

She has never been located and it's believed she met with foul play.

The previous rewards for these cases varied from $30,000 to $250,000, some have been in place for decades.

"What we've seen in some of the other mainland states is when rewards are increased it has generated far greater interest, allegiances change with people and what it has lead to is convictions," Assistant Commissioner Higgins said.

"We're hoping people may now come forward that may not have before."

"It's really important that we get closure for families in relation to these cases … getting justice for families is perhaps the most important thing that we can possibly do as police officers."

Anyone with information that could help solve these cases is asked to contact Police on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at crimestopperstas.com.au.